Scotch Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ConiferJoe

Apr 29, 2009
MidCoast Me
A good portion of my lot was meant to grow Christmas trees but they were never cut so now I have nearly 100 tall scotch pines.Obviously a lot of the inner trees have been choked out and are dead or dying and I have harvested a dozen or so into my piles but I never see anyone commenting on how well they burn. I haven't tried them yet because they are in the pile closest to the house and that pile won't get worked on until February when the other piles have become inaccessible.It looks like they rot quick so the bad ones just ended up in the brush pile.

well most pines (and any other soft wood) is going to burn hot and fast. but if you have lots of it, and dont mind the extra work you should do it. there are many people that burn nothing but pine or spruce or hemlock, etc. im burning basswood this fall, mostly because it was abundant and easily accessable. a bit more more work, but its getting the job done none the less.

yep if I had to burn hard woods right now we would be way to hot in here.

can you cut off the tops and still use them as x-mas trees?

Rex said:
can you cut off the tops and still use them as x-mas trees?
I thought about it but they were never tended to.I have been eyeing some other conifers to use as a personal tree.The Scotch's aren't all that thick in diameter and I have used nearly a dozen of them as a ghetto post fence to keep my boy from going over the hill in his ATV.

Joe, although not the best wood, it will still give you some heat. It is a shame thought that it will be a bear trimming those buggers. Sort of like cutting down a pin oak....all limbs. But if you need the wood, cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.