'Scotz'-hausen???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Well, after cutting all those blowdowns and branches on my neighborhood tour the other morning, I had to haul my cache of wood to the house. I also hauled out that huge, hollowed-out red maple I cut at my buddy's place a couple weeks ago home this evening.....

I am in no way, shape or form ready to process the wood (heck, I was lucky that Mrs. Overkill even let me out of the house to cut wood with her living room still not finished, but it was to help out the neighborhood across town so she DID allow it), so I wanted to stack it neatly on the edge of our property so the neighbors didn't have an eyesore of a wood pile to look at for possibly a month or more. So I stacked the rounds and splits "semi-neatly", and ended up with a cheap version of the holz hausen.....

I'm guestimating around 3 or so cord, mostly beech, with some white oak and red maple, and a sprig or two of Norway in there as well....

The big load consisted of the beech. Trailer was rubbing the tires on the fenders, and the K2500 was maxed out in the bed. That beech is some heavy stuff, you know!

2013-05-12_16-53-59_728.jpg 2013-05-12_16-54-08_630.jpg

Second load consisted of some beech and mostly white oak from some huge tops that snapped off in Friday's storm... Second pic is the red maple from the job I did a couple weeks ago....

2013-05-12_19-47-14_979.jpg 2013-05-13_16-13-23_379.jpg

The stacking of the big rounds. I'm gonna use those hollow rounds for flower pots out front.......they are around 30" diameter.....

2013-05-12_17-05-10_650.jpg 2013-05-13_16-13-29_955.jpg

Stacking the maple rounds on the "front" perimeter, and the Scotzhausen is complete....until I do the next job. Then we'll have to make "zee addition to zee hausen"......

2013-05-13_17-46-34_80.jpg 2013-05-13_17-46-45_801.jpg 2013-05-13_17-46-57_389.jpg

That looks like really heavy work. Hope you take care of your back. Good luck with the living room.

That looks like really heavy work. Hope you take care of your back. Good luck with the living room.
My back isn't too bad. I've learned to sleep "belly to the bed" with a pillow or two underneath your belly, after humping heavy stuff like those rounds all day. Makes a big difference in the morning, let me tell ya....

If you need room for that S.O., just bring it up here. Looks very neat.

That is one nice size Beech.

Reactions: ScotO
Those hollows would make a heckuva nice drum.

If it was me I would dry and debark the hollows. Chisel the rot out and add a bottom to them and make them into a nice wood storage bins with some small birch logs sticking out of them. A few coats of finish and you would have a great conversation piece in that living room of yours. ;)

One question Scotty..........WTH, the living room STILL isn't finished? I'm sure Mrs Overkill is a very nice patient lady but some things only last so long!

Oh yea, nice wood ! ;)

Reactions: n3pro and PapaDave
Those hollows would make a heckuva nice drum.

If it was me I would dry and debark the hollows. Chisel the rot out and add a bottom to them and make them into a nice wood storage bins with some small birch logs sticking out of them. A few coats of finish and you would have a great conversation piece in that living room of yours. ;)
Jack, I kinda like that idea! May have to run that one past the Mrs........

One question Scotty..........WTH, the living room STILL isn't finished? I'm sure Mrs Overkill is a very nice patient lady but some things only last so long!

Oh yea, nice wood ! ;)
Wishlist, it's nearly complete. I will do a thread on the whole project when I get it totally done. I went the "very hard" route and did a reclaimed floor in that room.....out of an 1830's farmhouse. Long story short, it was a LOT of work....

Now I'm down to staining and finishing the floor, installing the trim and ceiling fans, and putting the furniture in there.

And yes, Mrs. Overkill is VERY patient.......she married me, didn't she? ==c She's a SAINT.......;)

If you need room for that S.O., just bring it up here. Looks very neat.

That is one nice size Beech.
You ought to see the two beech trees that had tops broken out of them. They are around 40-50" diameter at the base, the trunks go up around 40 feet.....

I may be getting them if the insurance co. makes the homeowner get them taken down.......there's probably 4-5 cord of wood in those two trees.....

Nice hausen

Trailer looks loaded +
"Don't mind the mule, load the wagon."
Good you weren't traveling far ;)

Easy to overload the single axle trailers.
that's why I got the dual axle. Safer & has brakes :)
Was going to add an axle to the small trailer (like the size) but got a good deal .

My single axles also has a bowed axle, & tongue
& tires have looked look flat with 70#s in them

Nice Scotty.....I really like beech, one of my favorites. Slid another load of cherry in today and got it unloaded before the misses got home.:p

Nice Scotty.....I really like beech, one of my favorites. Slid another load of cherry in today and got it unloaded before the misses got home.:p
My lovely wife has officially conceded to the fact that I will NEVER EVER quit getting firewood. We're going to have to buy some ground somewhere, as soon I'll be totally stocked up here, I have wood up at my inlaw's place, and I'll soon be out of room......;em

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice work Scotty...hopefully the pile won't turn into a critter-hausen...;lol

Ya , that trailer is LOADED, very nice haul of wood.
I gotta stop looking on CL and stop collecting for a while,and get to splittin, but dang, now ! I just have go get that 40 foot hickory I found ::-)

Thats a pretty fair sized trailer for having one axle. Thats an amazing amount of lifting in those loads. How many loads, 4? And just 2 trees? You seperated the beech on one side and the maple on the other, will you stack them seperate?
It is a really impressive pile of wood.

I'm gonna use those hollow rounds for flower pots out front.

Maple + dirt + moisture = quick rotting. If anything, just use the wood as a facade to hide an actual flower pot.

hisel the rot out and add a bottom to them and make them into a nice wood storage bins

This sounds like a better idea.

Maple + dirt + moisture = quick rotting. If anything, just use the wood as a facade to hide an actual flower pot.
Actually, those hollow rounds are white beech, Lukem.....
I don't expect them to last forever, just something for the time being...but I kinda the idea of making "containers" or something else for inside the house. Just not sure how much the Missus will like that!!

Gotcha. I read hollowed out Maple and thought those were it.

I think they'd looks sharp sitting on that new hearth with a few sticks on kindling in them.

Gotcha. I read hollowed out Maple and thought those were it.

I think they'd looks sharp sitting on that new hearth with a few sticks on kindling in them.
Yeah, but the problem is they're almost 28-30" diameter....they're too big!!

Status
Not open for further replies.