Q&A Screen for Quaker Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have recently bought a used Quaker woodstove for a small cabin that I am planning to build and the dealer I bought it from said that the company in Pennsylvania has gone out of business.
1. I was wondering if you know- or if you could find out where I can find a firescreen for the stove- or where I can have one made?
2. I am also curious about this company. The stove is perfect for a cabin. It has a deer head on the door with the rack partially over the glass. I wanted to know why they went out of business. Please reply soon.

Answer:

I am familiar with the brand. They have been out of business for many years.
<P>
No Screen is available- but maybe a local fab or welding shop can make one for you. When woodstoves became very popular in the late 70's, hundreds of metal and welding shops all over the country prospered by making them. When demand slowed during the 80's- many of these companies were forced out of business. Then- in the late 80's the EPA put tough standards (for clean air) on woodstoves- sending all but the most determined and largest companies out of business. There were almost 500 woodstove makers- now there are 40 or so !

Status
Not open for further replies.