Screws for Durock to Metal Studs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pocono53

Sep 23, 2014
Northeast PA
I'm getting conflicting responses about which screws to use to attach Durock to steel studs

What has everyone been using? The original square bit screws are too coarse of a thread I think. They have the new star bit ones now... do these work? Anyone have any experience with these yet?

Is there a special screw I need to buy?

I'm just attaching half inch Durock to 20 gauge steel studs for the face of my FP30. Going to do stone veneer for the front. I have to cover a 6 by 7 foot area minus the fireplace.

Thans

I used self-tapping screws called Teks from Lowe's. Of course I cannot locate them on their website right now, but they look identical to these:

#8 X Inch Stainless Wafer Head Philips Self Drilling Sheet Metal Tek Screws , Qty 100, 410 Stainless Steel, Modified Truss Head Self Driller
by Chenango Supply
Link: http://a.co/7580uQ9

They went into the steel studs and metal surround with ease. They also have a wide flat head that won't crack the cement board. I have no idea if they are correct or not, but they appear to have worked correctly.

The durock spec sheet indicates you use cgc/usg tilebacker screws or equivalent. They are corrosion resistant because durock is used alot in wet areas (ex: substrate for tile in shower) or outside. You really do not need that feature for your application.

I'm in the same boat here for your fp's little brother. I was going to drill a small hole through the wonderboard and steel so the threads would catch.

I'm in the same boat here for your fp's little brother. I was going to drill a small hole through the wonderboard and steel so the threads would catch.
I feel your pain LOL. Went to home depot and lowes and everyone said "why would you use steel studs for Durock?" Nobody ever asked them that question. Their expert said use black phosphate bugle head drywall screws...

I feel your pain LOL. Went to home depot and lowes and everyone said "why would you use steel studs for Durock?" Nobody ever asked them that question. Their expert said use black phosphate bugle head drywall screws...

Well, that's a box store "expert" for you. Ever try to put drywall screws into 20 gauge studs? It can be done, but it's not fun. Just not the right tool for the job. Also, black phosphate drywall screws are quite brittle and do not have much shear strength. Then consider that bugle head screws are likely to crack Durock.

Not a good choice at all.

The wafer head screws that bfast250 mentioned are a very good choice.

Lowes blows i guess. This is what you need guys. These are screws for drywall and steel studs. Looks a the counter sink in the head. It has a self drilling edge that will cut a pilot and it will not crack your panel.

Attachments

• self-drilling-drywall-screws.jpg
    self-drilling-drywall-screws.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,901
Reactions: BlankBlankBlank
Lowes blows i guess. This is what you need guys. These are screws for drywall and steel studs. Looks a the counter sink in the head. It has a self drilling edge that will cut a pilot and it will not crack your panel.

Well, that's a really dumb idea.

You're actually going to suggest that someone use the fastener that is specifically designed for the job, instead of just grabbing whatever is handy???

Man, that's dumb!

;)

Or.... you could just use the screws that Durock makes to hang their product to steel studs.
cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.jpg

There's experts at Home Depot?

I did the same thing you’re doing, attaching 1/2” Durock to 20 gauge studs. I used self-tapping cement board screws. They worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk