Scrounge of the Day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yinpin

Burning Hunk
Jul 25, 2016
Kingsville, MD
I was working from home yesterday and as I always do when things get monotonous I browse FB Marketplace for any good wood leads. I have slowed down over the past few months with everything going on and have a nice old lady that is right down the street from me that has 3-4 trees worth of Ash that have been bucked and left by the company. I just have not been back in a month or so.

Anyways, I found an add for White Oak and what looked to be some good rounds. I loaded up the boys and drove 15 minutes to take a look. I am glad I brought help, they were bigger and heavier than they looked in the picture. My 11 year old certainly did his part while my 7 year old played on the rounds/logs as an obstacle course (As he Should)! I didn't get it all but I managed to get the largest rounds and this stuff is soooooo heavy! The remaining pieces were similar to the two longer ones shown. Would be easy to buck them so I may go back today for those. Pretty good score I think.

White Oak.jpg

I was working from home yesterday and as I always do when things get monotonous I browse FB Marketplace for any good wood leads. I have slowed down over the past few months with everything going on and have a nice old lady that is right down the street from me that has 3-4 trees worth of Ash that have been bucked and left by the company. I just have not been back in a month or so.

Anyways, I found an add for White Oak and what looked to be some good rounds. I loaded up the boys and drove 15 minutes to take a look. I am glad I brought help, they were bigger and heavier than they looked in the picture. My 11 year old certainly did his part while my 7 year old played on the rounds/logs as an obstacle course (As he Should)! I didn't get it all but I managed to get the largest rounds and this stuff is soooooo heavy! The remaining pieces were similar to the two longer ones shown. Would be easy to buck them so I may go back today for those. Pretty good score I think.

View attachment 260675
That is a good find. I can tell by looking that those pieces are heavy. I have never been much on the Facebook thing although I do have an account. I have not posted anything on there in probably 6 years. I have been keeping an eye on Craigslist - For sale > Free section (I know that is an oxymoron) and someone listed some free oak firewood already bucked up. I texted them to see if it was still available, no response as of now. That will be a good score as well if someone hasn't swiped it up yet.

Here was my scrounge for today:

Attachments

• 6A8E2511-C6FB-4FBD-BF62-A909FDAF2EB8.jpeg
    6A8E2511-C6FB-4FBD-BF62-A909FDAF2EB8.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 7C3FAB24-CCEB-4A59-A65D-3CEAC87A96BE.jpeg
    7C3FAB24-CCEB-4A59-A65D-3CEAC87A96BE.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: Riff
I feel like there used to be a scrounge of the day thread. I welcome all to post the daily finds here or even the wood ID questions because they are typically directly related.

I got another load of ash today. Heavy stuff

Attachments

• 6380E8AD-6F75-4B15-AC9D-DC022586A3E3.jpeg
    6380E8AD-6F75-4B15-AC9D-DC022586A3E3.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: yinpin
Our scrounge of the day, invited to come back tomorrow and they're dropping more next week.

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_122314_01 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200610_122314_01 (2).jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20200610_131917 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200610_131917 (2).jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 183
Our scrounge of the day, invited to come back tomorrow and they're dropping more next week.
Looks like quite a mix, but you can't beat free and its even better when it is already cut to length. I was buying some white oak from a guy in Blacksburg for $30 a pickup load (6' bed) already cut up but not split. Really good solid wood, but he didn't really know how to cut it up properly, his lengths were all over the place and wood didn't stack well.

Looks like quite a mix, but you can't beat free and its even better when it is already cut to length. I was buying some white oak from a guy in Blacksburg for $30 a pickup load (6' bed) already cut up but not split. Really good solid wood, but he didn't really know how to cut it up properly, his lengths were all over the place and wood didn't stack well.

Yup, it's a mix for sure and not all cut to length, but close enough and I don't mind shorts. It's free and it'll be warm when burning, which is all that really matters.