sealing air leaks around insulated chimney? (thru exterior wall)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northernontario

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2010
Ontario
So my stove is in the basement. Double-wall insulated pipe goes through the exterior wall, and up the outside of the house. Exterior basement wall is cement... we back-filled the hole made around the chimney with cement. Inside of the wall has 2x4 stud wall+insulation+vapour barrier+drywall... obviously the appropriate amount has been removed to allow 2" of clearance around the pipe. Then the "decorative plate" is screwed to the wall to cover this gap.

Now I have cold air coming in around my chimney (coming in from the wall cavity... through unknown gaps) . I know... I need fresh air to make up the difference when the stove is going... and what better place than right near the stove...

Should I be really concerned with sealing up the air leaks around this chimney? How would I go about doing it? high-temp caulking around the decorative plate to seal any air gaps?

Or leave it... since I'm better off to have th stove pulling in air nearby vs. somewhere else in the house.???

Status
Not open for further replies.