Sealing off around liner at the flue what is proper insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reed102

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2006
Greenville, Oh
I'm installing a wood burning insert into our existing fireplace which contains a "heat-a-lator clone made by Superior Furnace. It was here when we bought the home and found it to be a total waste. I will have to cut out one of the steel tubes to get the liner thru but at least I won't have to tear out a bunch of steel. I running a 6" stainless liner and have read that I will need to seal off the area around the liner as it goes into the flue. I don't know what type of insulation I should use around this. Is regular firberglass insulation sufficient?

No to the fiberglass isulation. It can't handle the heat. A product cal kaowool, or ceramic insulation (refactory insulation) and a block of plate needs to be used at the top of the liner where it exits the chimney and at the fireplace where enters the firebox. I have read that mineral wool or rock wool will work, but not sure. Definetely koawool will work, and a stainless steel block of plate would be best (with stove sealant-not silicone sealant). Do a search on those terms and you will find better info than I can provide.

Here is a nice link on the heat resistence of some diffferent types of insulation:

http://www.procureit.com.au/thermal.html

Good luck, KD

Status
Not open for further replies.