searching for some answers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

When installing brick walls/hearth. What height do you prefer for hearth?

• Single layer of standard brick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 layers of brick/ 11.5"

• 5 layers of brick/ 14.5"

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardingn88

Nov 12, 2014
Ok so I just bought a home built in 1954. The home was designed with a masonry chimney with a concrete? (Feels like molded concrete) someone may know more about materials used at that time to update this I've had a chimney inspection and i have 1 small 2in area that needs to be patched on inside but that will be completed professionally. I just bought a used haughs wood stove I believe they were sold at sears but it says mfg in Canada on 08/90. But it is EPA certified with the clearances listed on back. This is my questions...
1) so far we have not found a clean out (assuming they used the thimble access for this) But if we run stove pipe into the chimney it has to end and be sealed with sheet metal & cement at the bottom of flue which is about 1.5 feet above thimble. How would we do this without cutting into side of chimney to gain access? Is there something specific all made for this? Surely there is since I see this being an issue for everyone.
2) If there is no way to cement that at the bottom of the flue since I have a masonary chimney that is ran thru the wall/ ceiling and not on the exterior, and is almost at the highest point of roof so it only has about 2-3 feet above roof and has 6 inches of masonary on each wall and is also lined with a clay liner would it be safe/possible to continue single wall stove pipe to top of chimney or even double wall stove pipe?
3. We are putting this in a corner that was designed for stove in our hallway we plan to put the sheet metal with brick covering it (so we can reduce clearance) does anyone know what the clearances of single & double wall stove pipe with this protection is?
4. I have heard conflicting information on this. The clearances on my stove without protection are as low as 14.5 inches in back and 22 sides because it has a built in heat shield on back. The wall protection I'm using gives me a 67% reduction which puts it at 4.83" in back and 7.33" sides. A) I heard that wall protection reduces clearance by 67% to a minimum clearance of 12". Is there really a minimum clearance or can I just go by original clearance reduced by 67%? B) Are these clearances to the protection or to the combustible wall behind it?
I'm sorry I have so many questions every contracted I have contacted told me that he would figure everything up when they started the job but they cannot tell me how I can do it (understandable). We just bought this house when the heat went out and we are pretty much broke and need to do this as cheap as we can while following codes/safety precautions and paying someone $1000s to do something we can do if I can just figure these things out is just not possible.

Clearances are measured to the combustible material not measuring the heat shield.

I believe you're referring to heat shields for unlisted stoves offering the reduction with 1 inch air space behind it, and raised off floor to allow cool air under shield and up wall behind it. There are other criteria such as no fasteners in the center behind stove...... bricks touching wall without airspace is not considered an approved heat shield for 66% reduction. NFPA allows 33% in that case;.
https://www.hearth.com/what/clearancesprimer.html

The 12 inch min. you quote is from NFPA 211, (a Standard, not Code) which is the standard codes are written from to become familiar with. Codes adopt that standard. No conflicting information about it. There is a section in that 211 Standard that is for unlisted appliances. With no heat shield the standard 36 inches is the minimum clearance to unlisted stove. Reduced by 66% with proper shielding gets you as close as 12 inch. That is where the 12" comes from.

18 inch clearance to single wall pipe, 6 inches with double wall.

This may answer more questions;
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_a_woodstove

Last edited:
And no there is no good way to hook up to a liner that does not come all the way to the crock and no it is not a common problem not sure why a chimney would be built that way sounds like a liner is probably in order

I do have a listed stove. My clearances are 14.5" back and 22" sides. So if i reduce that it comes to 5" back and 7.5" side clearances. Does the 12" min mean that even though a 67% reduction yields a 5" clearance I still have to place it 12" from wall? Also, I do plan to put the metal & brick 1 inch away from wall, floor and ceiling to allow ventilation. How do I do the corner can the brick meet together completely or do I have to leave a gap where the 2 brick walls meet together? Also if the clearances are met would there be a concern for me to set this back into an area shaped like a closet without a front wall ex... the wall behind stove and a wall on each side of the stove? Thank you.

You need to go by the stove manufacturers instructions they may not allow any reduction. But typically you cant reduce it below 12" from combustibles and it can go all the way to the corner

Do you have the model number for this Haugh stove? Can you post a shot of the UL label from the back of the stove here?

This is on back of stove.

Attachments

• 2014-11-17 21.12.18.jpg
    2014-11-17 21.12.18.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.