Sears 42" Tractor scalping grass and right blade making big racket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello - Tractor really croaked! The pin that holds one side of the mower deck fell out and the right side mower Blade was making a horrible noise! Blade was scraping and hitting the mower deck housing! I replace the pin after attaching the left side mower deck and installed new 2 HD premium blades $41.98 after rewards and surprise bonus only $13.55 ! ! ! :)

Just removed the bolt and changed the blade. I used car ramps to drive the front wheels of the tractor on and a soft blanket to make it easy!

Click pic to enlarge:

Pic 1 - Holy Crap this right side blade is bent!
Pic 2 - Old standard black blade vs new HD Premium red blades
Pic 3 - Good end
Pic 4 - Bent end - Holy Crap!
Pic 5 - New Blade installed
Pic 6 - Cost to fix. Paid Cash no credit card

Attachments

• SearsTractorBlades (1).JPG
    SearsTractorBlades (1).JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 236
  • SearsTractorBlades (3).JPG
    SearsTractorBlades (3).JPG
    716.7 KB · Views: 238
  • SearsTractorBlades (6).JPG
    SearsTractorBlades (6).JPG
    817.9 KB · Views: 254
  • SearsTractorBlades (5).JPG
    SearsTractorBlades (5).JPG
    805.6 KB · Views: 232
  • SearsTractorBlades (7).JPG
    SearsTractorBlades (7).JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 239
  • SearsHDRedTractorBlades.jpg
    SearsHDRedTractorBlades.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Last image had what appears to be the credit card number on the receipt. I deleted that image. If I'm correct, notify Sears that this is a really bad practice.

Last image had what appears to be the credit card number on the receipt. I deleted that image. If I'm correct, notify Sears that this is a really bad practice.

Hi BeGreen
I paid the whole $13.55 cash so it could not have been a credit card. Thanks for checking

Ah good, odd that it appears to have the same 4 digit combos as a credit card. Maybe your Sears card number? Better safe than sorry.

paying cash, Likely the store # ID, In some cases could be the terminal ( check out) #, particularly if an automated one.

When my mower started lawn scalping I found a bent blade and replaced it. Lawn continued to be scalped on one side of the dual-blade mower deck. Checked again and found the mandrel casing had broken a flange which allowed the blade to shift off horizontal by a few degrees. With a new mandrel all was fine again and has been since.

Do you have sandy soil or a lot of bare spots?

The Craftsman blades tend to be thin and cheap in the middle of the "wing" on the tip. Mine used to wear right there and need replaced every 2 years. After having the 1/2 acre lawn re-done with 200 yards of topsoil, blades last a LONG time now.

Do you have sandy soil or a lot of bare spots?

The Craftsman blades tend to be thin and cheap in the middle of the "wing" on the tip. Mine used to wear right there and need replaced every 2 years. After having the 1/2 acre lawn re-done with 200 yards of topsoil, blades last a LONG time now.
Hello
Yes, I do have sandy soil. Just had a foundation put in too so a lot of sand got dug up. Hoping to fix that soon and the heavy duty red blades might last too. Thanks for the info!

Have you ever wondered.....what would happen if you mounted a set of mulching blades on the mandrel, and then put a set of bagging/discharge blades on the mandrel and bolted them up so the underneath of the deck it looks like ++.

It mulches leaves like crazy, and sounds like a blackhawk helocopter. ;lol

Have you ever wondered.....what would happen if you mounted a set of mulching blades on the mandrel, and then put a set of bagging/discharge blades on the mandrel and bolted them up so the underneath of the deck it looks like ++.

No. But I like the way you think.:cool:

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.