Seasoned Firewood for Sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDolz

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2015
Burlington, CT
Saw this ad for seasoned firewood. I happened to recognize the photo as a house up the street - I watched them cut the trees down last weekend. Who knew
1 week = seasoned:). If you look at the grass you can still see the wood chips from them just being cut.
1586576891740.png

Last edited:
I don’t see the ad but I have no problem believing what you are saying. Maybe they counted the rings & counted each one as a season. If that’s the case it’s probably “well seasoned”. Lol
I didn't realize the link did not post, I copied the Image and stuck it in - thanks.

If there isnt a legal definition of "seasoned" then anyone can claim anything they want. Caveat Emptor.

If there isnt a legal definition of "seasoned" then anyone can claim anything they want. Caveat Emptor.
There is Legal and there is karma - I am a big believer in karma.

There is Legal and there is karma - I am a big believer in karma.
I had a guy sell me 2 chords of “seasoned” wood this winter.

Problem 1 it was 30%-40% moisture he finally admitted to cutting down a “dead” ash tree the day before to deliver it to me. I told him what I thought about that.

Problem 2 was it ended up being a cord and a half once stacked in my 8x8 shed that has been laid out to exactly measure a cord.

Karma was I stopped payment on the check and when he refused to pick up the junk chit I burned free junk wood mixed in with my good wood this winter. That’s a ton of work for nothing...

Hope he learned a lesson, and almost all his ads went away on FB too.

Who knows? Maybe he sprinkled some salt and pepper on the wood for seasoning?
I like mine seasoned with a lil hot sauce...warms me up a bit.

I'd call that ad misleading. Around here "seasoned" means cut a while ago. Usually like 3 months. It is seldom ready to burn, but it's not fresh cut either. I don't think the sellers are pretending they've had it a year or two.

On the other hand, people buying your neighbor's wood should be able to tell it was cut very recently, from smell and look.

I buy much of my wood, and i always plan 3 years in advance for oak and 1 or 2 years for other stuff.

I cut some locust last week and it was seasoned. It was dead standing and it died 18 years ago. 19 percent moisture.

Those trees could be dead standing ash. If it was dead for several years it could be halfway seasoned.

Some believe seasoning begins the moment the tree dies. Not sure when that is if its still standing. Others it begins the moment its cut down. Others believe its after its been cut into rounds. Others believe after its been split. Others believe after its been split and stacked for who knows how long. Seasoning unfortunately has not specific definition. This takes a little while for wood consumers to figure out. Eventually they do.

I cut some locust last week and it was seasoned. It was dead standing and it died 18 years ago. 19 percent moisture.

Those trees could be dead standing ash. If it was dead for several years it could be halfway seasoned.
All we have is dead ash around here, haven’t see a live one in 5 years. Average is probably 40% moisture when you could find a good one without rot. and most are falling over rotten now. They won’t make it much past 5 years standing before they rot out. I have never seen anything less than 30% moisture on a dead standing ash in the limbs of it.

I haven't had to buy wood since 2015 so I guess I'm lucky in that regard that I don't have to deal with the "seasoned" wood dealers in this part of WI. I'll gladly accept my log loads, do all the work for bucking, cutting, splitting and stacking and know exactly what the species of wood is, when it was stacked, and when I can use it.

This was one of the sellers I bought from back in 2015:

He used to have up tons of Craigslist ads for our part of WI, these days he seems to be off of Craigslist. I wonder why....maybe its because his "seasoned" premium hardwoods weren't so seasoned after all!! I mean how hard is it to add a bit of salt to the wood before selling it.. ;)

Some believe seasoning begins the moment the tree dies. Not sure when that is if its still standing. Others it begins the moment its cut down. Others believe its after its been cut into rounds. Others believe after its been split. Others believe after its been split and stacked for who knows how long. Seasoning unfortunately has not specific definition. This takes a little while for wood consumers to figure out. Eventually they do.
Not sure when that is if its still standing. - that would be the next question:). Since I drove by it every day I would have noticed if it had zero leaves, like every ash - I am sure it was dying. Could have simply said dying ash tree, recently cut..... Won't matter as he is asking $150 for a bit over a cord (no delivery). We are blessed to be in an area where free wood is plentiful. If I am looking for wood, I rarely need to search for more than a week before I find something within 10 miles of my house.

"Seasoned" around here was originally suppose to mean cut and split for one summer.....which was fine for most folks with older smoke dragons. It's a pretty loose term though nowadays.

Reactions: JimBear
That's the problem, there's no set definition for seasoned, we joke about about pepper and hot sauce but I wish the industry would get the chit together and come up with a definition. In the old days, seasoned wood wasn't a big deal or necessary but with the modern stoves it means a lot, maybe some day they'll be some regulations or at least some honesty in the wood business.

What do you mean my wood is not seasoned
That drive in the log truck seasons it. After all, it is 15 K
so it better be dry by the time it gets to the wood yeard !!
:):):):p