Seasoned Wood Bonanza

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Armed with what I have learned in my short time here I ordered my wood for next winter.

Last year my supplier delivered green wood and said it would be ready in the fall. I believed him as he is who I have bought from before with no problems.

Wood didn't all season due to how I stored it. I covered it more than usual because someone told me to...

New insert came and I have learned it hates wood that is the least bit wet.

Went to my suppliers wood lot and asked if they had any seasoned wood - how long ago had it been cut and how stored - questions I learned to ask here. He said they had some that had been cut and in the pile for about 4 months and was ready to burn.

I explained why I needed dry wood and he assured me that what I would get would be dry.

I ordered 4 cords and figured I'd learn something.

Wood arrived yesterday. I could tell it was dry just by looking at it. No bark - good cracks on the ends. When I banged 2 pieces together they wounded hollow. Final test - my moisture meter. I took a piece of elm, a piece of maple and a piece of locust. I hammered into the splits and then checked them. All measured around 20% moisture. :coolsmile:

Hip, hip horray for my suppliers. They are a fine outfit. I am so glad I went back to them even after the green wood last year which was as much my fault as theirs because I didn't know to ask for seasoned wood.

Thanks to all of you with the info. on how to season wood etc...

I am grateful I live in a dry climate, Colorado, where wood will season even if left in a pile in just 4 months. My wood will be more than ready by next Oct.

Since my new insert uses a lot more wood than my old one did I know now I don't have to worry about running out of seasoned wood before I run out of winter. I can order more and it will be ready to burn. What a relief.

Success is measured in small steps AND nice neat stacks of seasoned fire wood. :)

Good for you. Now the next best thing would be to get 2 year's supply on hand.

Good that you're thinking ahead with the wood issue...nothing wrong with buying green wood...around here it's cheaper. You just have to plan on seasoning it by exposing it to mother nature.

We don't cover up our wood until they forecast snow...I could be wrong but am willing to bet that wood that gets rained on...then dries out in the sun and wind is better seasoned than wood cut/split and then deprived of sun by being stacked under cover.

The sun is our friend!

Perplexed, that is the best decision you've made since buying your new insert. You're going to thank yourself later this year. Good luck (although I don't think you'll need any now)

Status
Not open for further replies.