Seasoning and size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maj92az

Sep 26, 2020
N Idaho
I am new to the whole game..

I am in N Idaho. I collect and will burn Douglas fir and tamarack.

I collected about 2 cords in the summer. Bucked them down (did I use that right?) And they sat for 4+ months. I manually split with a maul and it went real smooth. Obviously green wood must be harder to split?? I brought home another 2 cords today. Bucked them to size and for fun went to split. No. Not today. Lol. So if I wait 4 months (or more without the summer heat) I can split in the Spring...but do logs still season at a decent rate if I dont split until even the summer? So I lose time from when it sat vs when I can easily split it. For example if I had a hydraulic splitter- it all would be done and stacked today. But if I "have" to wait until Spring- will next winter still be an option to burn.

Thx

I'm going to say yes, green wood is spongy and is harder to split. But it differs in species. I've found oak is easier to split when it freezes and develops small splits in the ends.
Best to get it all split now. Rounds don't dry well. Best weather for hand splitting is now and the winter. Summer, to hot.
Burn what you have. It may be hard to keep lit and will cause a lot of creosote. so clean the chimney.

Doug fir in your dry climate will be seasoned well enough for burning if it is split in late winter or early spring, then stacked so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacks. But it has to be split in order to start drying out quickly.