Second opinion on chimney work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rice

Jun 1, 2018
Southeastern PA
So, I'm really close to buying a house, (settlement was supposed to be yesterday, but the seller didn't have the repairs finished), and an HVAC guy told me I needed to get the chimney looked at. The chimney guy gave me an estimate of 3k for a new liner, sweeping, cement work, and tuck pointing. He insists that the liner MUST be replaced. He included these photos in the estimate:

I'm getting conflicting opinions that the estimate is way too high, and that the photos show that the chimney looks fine. I don't know what to believe! Please help!

If it helps, this is in southeastern PA. The house is about 100 years old, and the chimney guy says that the inside of the chimney should look orange from the terracotta lining. An oil furnace and fireplace is part of the chimney.

Edit: Sorry! Here are the photos!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Second opinion on chimney work
    chimney1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 357
    chimney2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 346
    chimney3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Pics are not loading

I don't think I've ever seen orange in a chimney no matter how clean it is cleaned. Except for before it's had its first fire.
Then it isnt being cleaned correctly. You should see the orange clay if it is there

So, I'm really close to buying a house, (settlement was supposed to be yesterday, but the seller didn't have the repairs finished), and an HVAC guy told me I needed to get the chimney looked at. The chimney guy gave me an estimate of 3k for a new liner, sweeping, cement work, and tuck pointing. He insists that the liner MUST be replaced. He included these photos in the estimate:

I'm getting conflicting opinions that the estimate is way too high, and that the photos show that the chimney looks fine. I don't know what to believe! Please help!

If it helps, this is in southeastern PA. The house is about 100 years old, and the chimney guy says that the inside of the chimney should look orange from the terracotta lining. An oil furnace and fireplace is part of the chimney.

Thanks!!

Try reposting the pics i ca nt give you much input without seeing them

Then it isnt being cleaned correctly. You should see the orange clay if it is there

Maybe it's the liners I've seen. They just seem to take on black stain that won't come off.

Maybe it's the liners I've seen. They just seem to take on black stain that won't come off.
The only time i see liners that you cant get back to orange is in chimneys with very poorly running oil furnaces.

I can't see the pic either. But, IMHO, judging the state of the chimney and inferring needed repairs by color is about as silly as saying you need a new car because the tailpipe has a bit of black on it.

Now, the black chimney may be a sign the oil burner is not working well. If so, fix that. If 2-3 appliances are using the same flue, that is a different problem. If so, fix that. If the chimney has a thick black creosote build up, fix that. ...etc. Conversely, even the brightest, shiniest, orange chimney may have cracks, missing mortar, structural issues, etc. If so, fix that.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about the color so much as the structural soundness, proper set-up (one appliance per flue) and health of those appliances attached.

I can't see the pic either. But, IMHO, judging the state of the chimney and inferring needed repairs by color is about as silly as saying you need a new car because the tailpipe has a bit of black on it.

Now, the black chimney may be a sign the oil burner is not working well. If so, fix that. If 2-3 appliances are using the same flue, that is a different problem. If so, fix that. If the chimney has a thick black creosote build up, fix that. ...etc. Conversely, even the brightest, shiniest, orange chimney may have cracks, missing mortar, structural issues, etc. If so, fix that.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about the color so much as the structural soundness, proper set-up (one appliance per flue) and health of those appliances attached.
I have a feeling the chimney was not diagnosed by color but the sweep said it should have an orange liner just to illustrate what should be there. I would guess there is no liner. But without the pics i am guessing.

Ugh sorry!! Thanks everyone for your patience. Here they are:

Attachments

chimney1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 312
    chimney2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 363
    chimney3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 317
Hm, I'm not sure- how would I know? Sorry I'm clueless about this!
Looks like there are 4 flues in this chimney so the odds are it is independent. A good sweep can verify and inspect with a camera to give you an accurate assessment.

Looks like there are 4 flues in this chimney so the odds are it is independent. A good sweep can verify and inspect with a camera to give you an accurate assessment.
I failed to mention that this house is a twin, so I guess it just has 2 flues? I'm going to get another chimney person to inspect it and give me an estimate. Thanks!!

Where are you located? Maybe @bholler or @Ashful can give you a recommendation?

Last edited:
When I need work done which is outside my scope, I always get 3 estimates. Prices can vary wildly. Sometimes a contractor simply doesn't want to do the job and will throw out a high price.

Ugh sorry!! Thanks everyone for your patience. Here they are:
Well the liner is badly deteriorated and needs replaced. I also see lots of flashing and masonry work needed 3000 does not sound at all unreasonable to me.

And my mother grew up in Lansdowne i still have family there.

Just because a sweep isnt csia certified does not mean they are not good. We no longer are because it didnt benifit us any and it costs allot of money to maintain it. But the list is a good place to start. If you are interested i can give you a few names of guys i know in the area. Or you can check the pa guild of sweeps website. Our president is from that area.

Last edited by a moderator: