Second year boiler question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

May 21, 2008
NH
SO... I am almost ready for my second year of use with the Tarm 40. I am guessing I just hook it back up and let her rip? This will be my second year.. .wishing I had storage but looks like it will not happen this year. However, I did hear that one would use a bit less wood in the second year? Is this true? And if so, does anyone have first hand knowledge of this? Are we talking about 1/4 cord? 1/2 cord? I know alot depends on temp as well. Also, i will be burning dry oak this year whereas i had alot of maple and pine last year. Last year( COLD) estimate.. i used a cord of pine and 5-6 of hardwood?.... Will i use less this year?

I'm hoping to do better this year as well. It's my second year with 500 gallons of storage. I used about the same amount of wood. I don't realistically see that happening though.
The Tarm 40 holds about 5 cu. ft. of wood. If you figure a 5 month burning season with one chock full load of wood everyday, that comes out to about 6 cords.
Most folks load twice daily.!

I don't know any reason why you might burn less wood the second season, other than you being more efficient in managing your burns or the weather is warmer.

As jebatty pointed out, managing the burns are the best way. I noticed when I paid attention to the shower schedule in the house , I could get an extra day between burns. I started out this winter with some very dry beech, great output. Since the end of april I've had to use white birch, light maple, etc needed more wood to achieve the goal. Did get lazy part way thru the summer, burned a few times when the unit needed cleaning, paid a penalty. I've got a good supply of rock maple/beech for the next 2 years, good times ahead.

Is anyone good here with the calculations ? If I use 3 cord of nice dried oak instead of 3 cord of dried maple... how many more BTU's will I get? Does that mean I will have to load less wood this year. I have total 6 cord this year( 3 oak, 3 maple) . Last year I had all ma[ple( 6 cord) and a cord of pine.

From the chart I have it will depend on the type of maple(red(18.7 MBTU) or sugar(24 MBTU) is on my chart) and the type of oak(red(24 MBTU) & white(25.7 MBTU) on my chart) to make that claculation.

using oak(and the chart's info)..apprx. 15.9 million btu more. Certainly either will give you longer burn time than pine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.