Secondaries and smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
Hi,

I have a PE Super Classic and I've recently noticed I have quite a bit of smoke coming out of my flue. Secondaries are firing but maybe not as pronounced as I remember. Wood is dry and my flue is currently at 700 while I write this.

I'm usually shutting the air down within 2-3 minutes on a cold start, can't imagine it being wet wood. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I'm burning oak. Single story house.

You may be turning down your air too fast. On a cold start I am running either full air or only 25 % closed until cat is active(takes 10-12 mins) then going down every 5 mins from there until at its final setting.

Reactions: Draughts15
Draft is going to be quite strong with the cold the midwest is seeing right now, especially if it's windy. . With very dry wood the secondary burn may not be able to keep up with the amount of wood gases being emitted.

Does the stove have 1 wall or 2 wall stovepipe? How is the flue temp being measured, probe thermometer or a magnetic thermometer on the stove pipe?

Does the stove have 1 wall or 2 wall stovepipe? How is the flue temp being measured, probe thermometer or a magnetic thermometer on the stove pipe?
Double wall stovepipe with a probe thermometer. Attached are pictures from when I first posted, about an hour ago now.

Temp is about 600 and smoke still coming out about an hour later. It is cranking out the heat, just not used to seeing this much smoke coming out.

20240115_131935.jpg 20240115_132008.jpg 20240115_131939.jpg

Some of that may be steam. Even dry wood still has 15% moisture content. Does the "smoke" dissapate fairly rapidly, like within 10 seconds?

That looks to be mostly steam. With our temps right now any moisture condenses as soon as it exits. If it's gone in 10-15' it's probably steam, if it leaves a trail longer than that it's smoke (although in this wind even smoke might dissipate quickly...).