Secondaries to Coaling transition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverstop

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2020
new hampshire
How should secondary flames transition into the coaling stage? Usually ill get a lazy small section of secondaries and then a log end may catch on fire as those end. However, other times secondaries will abruptly end and the stove will backpuff (usually while I'm sleeping). I know it happened because I can smell it and catch the backpuff on my wyze cam.

Is this stage the most likely time for a backpuff to occur? Past couple of days have been rather windy, and a higher MC split may have made it into the load as I don't check every one.

Edit: just happened, no wind. STT 577 flue 12" from collar 333. Primary was closed 100%

Last edited:
Primary was closed 100%
Thats the problem, close the primary then crack it open a little and see if that helps, theres a fuel rich issue going on inside the firebox, then it gets enough oxygen and lights off causing the backpuff

Reactions: MR. GLO and Osage
Thats the problem, close the primary then crack it open a little and see if that helps, theres a fuel rich issue going on inside the firebox, then it gets enough oxygen and lights off causing the backpuff
I'll give that a shot on the next burn. However, when this happens the stove has usually been running for 1+ hr (depending on the size of the load) with secondary flames and the primary closed 100%.

Based on your response my assumption then is that flue/STT have dropped enough to cause a decrease in draft resulting in less air being pulled in through the secondary air inlet creating a fuel rich issue. As I said this occurs close to the transition to the coaling phase so temperatures are lower.