Secondary air control adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bundy150

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
Most stoves have no secondary air controls, some (MF NOVA)have no primary or secondary controls. Hearthstone uses a preset 1 inch secondary air inlet that could be adjusted. Would adjustable secondary air controls offer better burning and efficiency?

Non adjustable secondary air is probably “set” for maximum efficiency at some predetermined burn rate. Probably one that reflects an EPA test procedure. That said any user adjustable feature can be used inappropriately. I think there’s a reason most stoves don’t have adjustable secondary air. Now PE’s EBT 2 is basically an automatic secondary air control so they think this is helpful in some capacity. Gotta be efficiency right it’s all about heat into the home?? At the end of the day I want my well built stove to be simple. I will sacrifice 5-10% efficiency for a single control.

So maybe is my answer, but I wouldn’t buy a stove with it.

Evan

Since draft powers your stove and draft is highly variable, a fixed secondary air is a compromise at best.

Yes if you dont mind the complexity, adding secondary air control along with a lambda sensor for feedback will improve efficiency. The same can be said for adjustable primary air and lot of other adjustments. The other improvement is switch to fan forced draft or either ID of FD and decoupling the stove from stack draft.

I think the VC Dauntless regulates the secondary air. Several PE stoves have secondary air regulation and I think the larger Enviros did too.

I would guess high burn rates. @Corie is that correct?