Secondary burn in stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ricknasty

Oct 7, 2018
Michigan
Have an old unknown wood stove, usually runs just fine, I dont stuff it full usually just put a few decent size pieces before bed and set the air to a low setting that still keeps the pipe temp in the ok zone on thermometer. Tonight after it being in the "cruise" zone for an hour or so I came out to get some water and saw that the pipe temp was 550-600 deg on surface of the single wall. I looked in the stove and there wasnt much going on but at the top of the stove was the ceiling of fire type secondary burn and it was all kind of rolling and sucking itself right up the stovepipe causing it to get very hot! I was able to turn down the air and close the damper and get it under control. Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? Load was half bio bricks half maple that seasoned 1 year

Did your load go on in really active, large hot coals?

Have you swept the chimney and connector pipes in a while?

Reactions: wooduser
Did your load go on in really active, large hot coals?

Have you swept the chimney and connector pipes in a while?
it may have been a little bit more coals than usual. I just swept it at the beginning of november and got about a cup. Went up there today and swept again/checked it out. Got maybe 2 cups

Wondering if a bit of material in the connector pipe took off on you.

Wondering if a bit of material in the connector pipe took off on you.
You think so? It looked like the flames originated in the stove and were wrapping around the baffle and up the stove pipe. It didnt have any of the chimney fire sights or sounds. Just looked like gentle flames going to high for their own good.

Not sure then. This have a glass door or do you have to open the door to look in?

If not chimney fire, then I’m guessing the load on hot coals got going really hard, after cutting the air back.

If that’s the case, then I’d suggest burning down coals a bit more before reloading, and shutting the air to your cruise setting a bit sooner.

Not sure then. This have a glass door or do you have to open the door to look in?

If not chimney fire, then I’m guessing the load on hot coals got going really hard, after cutting the air back.

If that’s the case, then I’d suggest burning down coals a bit more before reloading, and shutting the air to your cruise setting a bit sooner.
Yes glass door. I think your right, I was being a little impatient before bed.

The stove might have a secondary combustion system. Some early designs like the Jotul 602 and 118 did.