Secondary Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
buono fuoco said:
Is there a difference in secondary burn in strong draft situations? In other words is it harder to ignite the secondary burn in the Fall when the stack differential is less than it might be in the dead of winter? Or if the a stove has intrinsically weak draft will it be less efficient under secondary air only conditions, burning dirty and cooling off. It would seem so but I don't often see Draft and secondary burn discussed at the same time.

Draft is indeed crucial to secondary combustion, whether you have a tube style or some kind of refractory material as in a catalytic or non-catalytic stove. I saw a couple of different temp ranges posted, but for catalytic stoves it's generally minimum 500F, 1100 for non-catalytic stoves. I haven't owned a tube style yet, but use my friends Lopi Liberty and it needs a reasonably hot fire.

As to the "Government did us a favor" posts, in most cases I'd agree. I can get up to 12 hours burn time on my non-cat stove that I'd never be able to achieve with an old smoke dragon stove of the same dimensions, and when running properly, the visible emissions from the top of my stack are virtually non existent. That said, when used incorrectly or poorly designed, they can cause a fire to smolder worse than a smoke dragon of the pre-EPA era.

I have to wonder how many people who buy downdraft stoves really know what they're getting into. I sure didn't. Let's face it, this forum isn't required reading for the average guy tossing wood into a metal box. I asked a friend if his new VC was a cat or not - he had no idea. With everyone scrambling to find a woodstove (myself included) that scene will be playing out a lot more often.
Personally, I think the new afterburn technology is the coolest thing since sliced toast, but those incredibly low emissions ratings are for proper, if not ideal, burn situations. I think there are a lot of green/wet woodburners in the real world - I know I was one, until I checked out these forums!

My dealer certainly did not prepare/inform me of the nuances or difficulties in using a downdraft/ non-cat stove before I purchased mine. I had extensive experience with smoke dragons & catalytics as I grew up with them, so maybe he just assumed I knew what I was getting myself into. But I sure would have appreciated some insight from him on what types of setups (like mine) that are near certainly doomed to fail with a non-cat, but would have worked with a catalytic.

Please don't feed the troll.

BurningIsLove said:
My dealer certainly did not prepare/inform me of the nuances or difficulties in using a downdraft/ non-cat stove before I purchased mine. I had extensive experience with smoke dragons & catalytics as I grew up with them, so maybe he just assumed I knew what I was getting myself into. But I sure would have appreciated some insight from him on what types of setups (like mine) that are near certainly doomed to fail with a non-cat, but would have worked with a catalytic.

What stoves are down draft??? This will be my first year with the F400 and i learned that seasoned wood and proper air flow will give good results.not like the i use three month old season wood in my smoke dragon and think its cool guy next door.

Hogwildz said:
Please don't feed the troll.
Who are the trolls on this forum that i should watchout for??

<grunt> <grunt> <stomp feet> <grunt>

I think he meant me. :)

Geez, I was pretty sure he was talking about me. Not that there's anything wrong with it.
I actually wasn't paying attention and thought I was posting on the Dutchwest Non-Cat thread.
I hit submit and said... !!!

Well anyway, here's yet another shot of my little CFM workshop stove cookin' with the primary shut completely down. Took this pic about 5 minutes ago. Rick

Attachments

• secondary2.jpg
    secondary2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 239
Status
Not open for further replies.