Secondary combustion tubes not firing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Palentch

Nov 3, 2023
New Hampshire
Could anyone suggest a reason my secondary combustion tubes do not fire as well as they once did? When I first got this woodburning insert it seemed like they fired a lot better when I fully close the stove. Now when I do that, it seems like they fire much less efficiently and sporadically. I have a Napoleon wood burning stove insert.

Can you describe how it’s hooked up? How full are you loading it? Do you have a moisture meter to check your wood supply?

The most common cause is wood that is not fully seasoned and below 20% moisture content inside. The second issue could be a plugged chimney liner or chimney cap screen. How tall is the liner on the insert?

Reactions: Palentch
Can you describe how it’s hooked up? How full are you loading it? Do you have a moisture meter to check your wood supply?
Hooked up to chimney liner about 25 ft. It varies how much I fill it. No moisture me
The most common cause is wood that is not fully seasoned and below 20% moisture content inside. The second issue could be a plugged chimney liner or chimney cap screen. How tall is the liner on the insert?
liner is about 20ft. My wood is not as well seasoned this year. I'll try getting a moisture meter.

Hooked up to chimney liner about 25 ft. It varies how much I fill it. No moisture me

liner is about 20ft. My wood is not as well seasoned this year. I'll try getting a moisture meter.
MC meter will be the best buy you make...

I got my meter at Lowes for around 25 bucks. Its a General, maybe not the best, but she works for my needs.

Poorly seasoned wood is going to cool down the fire a lot as the steam is boiled off. Try adding some dry 2x4 cuttoffs to the fire to see if that helps.