Secondary Tubes Glowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
Terrible quality video, looks like it was filmed on an old school beta recorder. Anyways, that harsh red glow at the top is the burn tubes, the middle ones are glowing cherry red. Stovetop is sitting at about 625, air about 1/8 open.

Is this ok or can I expect to see drips of metal at the bottom of the stove tomorrow morning?

Thanks!

I just did what I should have done first, did a search and it sounds like it's pretty normal. Tried to delete the post but can't find the option.

Sorry about that! At least I learned how to post a video :)

I've had mine glowing red like that a few times. The metal of those tubes (in my Quadrafire anyway) seems like a different metal than the stove body itself - presumably something that can handle high temperatures. It's neat to see that heat radiation coming from inside the tubes out of the air holes.

I have been turning the air down sooner and my red tubes are far and few between, yes they can take that kind of heat. What happens when you turn your air down sooner is the wood will off gas at a slower rate thus your not wasting wood and the secondaries perform at a slower lazy rate. I have had my stove top at 650 and had not one inch of the secondary tubes glowing. Try it.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Status
Not open for further replies.