Signs we got too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfic78

Sep 11, 2022
East Tennessee
Good afternoon,

We had our initial run on our new Buck 74zc fireplace this past weekend. It was going flawlessly until I’m worried we got it cooking a bit too much/overtired. I had the air damper completely shut and the blower running on low per the manual. I loaded up the firebox after about 3 hours of it running moderately, sometimes reaching secondary burn but not consistently. I ended up loading it with about 6 medium sized pieces of dry, quality mixed hardwood. At this point the fire really got cooking. The secondary burn was going constantly, and the secondary burn tubes were glowing red (I read that can be normal and safe). It got to the point where it appeared secondary burn was no longer visibly so we ended up opening up the firebox to get some cool air into the mix and get it down to coals. Since it is a ZC insert the piping is Class A. At no point did walls even appear a tad warm and from what I could see (from 2 stores up) my chimney/flute did not appear red. I have attached a video of the burn when it was starting to reach peak, and also a few pictures after I swept and scooped ash (I used a flashlight to try and make it a bit more visible). The top back left corner of the steel is concerning to me. Is that simply creosote, or a sign that part of the firebox got too hot. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you. IMG_3325.jpeg IMG_3326.jpeg IMG_3327.jpeg IMG_3328.jpeg IMG_3329.jpeg IMG_3330.jpeg IMG_3331.jpeg IMG_3332.jpeg

Last edited:
The steel looks like it has some creosote on it. I would not worry about it being too hot, looks fine to me. Could be hotter to not form the creosote if anything