SeeFire not firing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mo Lake

Oct 25, 2021
Muskoka, ontario, canada
Moderator Note: Moved to new thread. Different issue.
Hi all,

I've been lurking for some time on the forums and am constantly referencing them during my wood/ wood heating research. Thought it was time to at least make a post....
Hi! i know your post is from ages ago but i have a question for you. i also have a 900S that has been running amazing for a very long time (17 yrs i've owned the place but understand it is likely from the 90s). this season i am having a really hard time getting the fire to burn with the door closed. i have just cleaned the chimney and the smoke ledge is clear. i am tryng to figure out what else might be the problem. i have found the owner's manual, for yours too, and it doesn't really say much about the fresh air intake aside from it is under the stove in the pedestal. i am wondering how the air is fed to it? it has been in the same space for 30 yrs... i had never even realized there was a fresh air slot. do you know how that works on your model as they are apparently identical except for size. also, do you have any tips on this model since i assume you have had it since new? am i doing something wrong? thanks!!

Attachments

• Seefire Manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 96
Last edited by a moderator:
It's unlikely to be an air intake issue, though remotely possible. The prime suspects are wood that is not fully seasoned or if there is a chimney cap screen, that it is plugged.
Is the stove connected to a full, stainless liner up the chimney?

Reactions: Mo Lake
Hi, I cleaned the chimney, cap included and it is clear. There is plenty smoke it is drawing. There is a stainless chimney, straight, one story so the height is right. I also tried ultra dry wood but same story. I can see that the secondary intake is not reacting in the tiny holes at all. Not sure how that can be blocked and I vacuumed that as well when cleaning. What do you think? Sorry video is too big

Screenshot_20211026-170825_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20211026-170823_Gallery.jpg

Try putting some 2x4 cutoffs on the fire and see if it really perks up.

Also, has anything recently been done to the house regarding sealing, new windows, general tightening up?

Reactions: Mo Lake
Try putting some 2x4 cutoffs on the fire and see if it really perks up.

Also, has anything recently been done to the house regarding sealing, new windows, general tightening up?
Nothing. As a matter of fact I keep a window open and it is an old cottage from 1948 so no where near tight. That is what is so frustrating. It has been an amazing stove, heating this place to 25C in -30C temps. It really is a great stove