Seeking ideas for cleaning exterior of stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbohaker

Aug 15, 2022
Maryland
Hello, what is the best product to use to keep exterior of cast iron stove clean and prevent surface rust?

I have a 35 year old cast iron stove in my basement. I have never used anything except a rag to dust it and there is no rust on it.

How often should the stove be painted? I would think too much paint over time would accumulate and affect the appearance of the stove.
Once every 10 years or so unless it's in a very humid location

How often should the stove be painted? I would think too much paint over time would accumulate and affect the appearance of the stove.
Your stove is cast iron jacketed. With care, just regular dusting is fine. Our cast iron jacketed stove will be going on its 15th season. The paint still looks good. There is not a hint of rust. This is not like a true cast iron stove where the paint on the cast iron is heated up to 600-700º repeatedly. The silicone paint used on modern stoves is quite good as long as the stove is not overfired.

Alderlea paint4.jpg Alderlea paint3.jpg