Seeking recommendations for an indirect hot water tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnian

Minister of Fire
May 28, 2008
Limerick, Maine
Size? Well there are just two of us, but it is a 3/4 bedroom house with 2 full baths.
~ hoping for 40 gal

Source will be a Harmon PB 105 pellet boiler.

I would like to put some sort of timer on the system too, to turn it off when I know there will not be any demand.

I am looking for suggestions on brands, and any other thoughts people have.

Thanks ~ Jeff

sinnian said:
Size? Well there are just two of us, but it is a 3/4 bedroom house with 2 full baths.
~ hoping for 40 gal

I would like to put some sort of timer on the system too, to turn it off when I know there will not be any demand.

Thanks ~ Jeff

As far as I'm concerned, indirect is the way to go. I use a 40 gallon SuperStor for a family of 5. It's good for two long back-to-back showers or three reasonable ones. They're pretty well insulated as they come from the factory, and you can easily add more to really reduce the standby losses.

I got a bit carried away with mine - I deliberately overheat it when I'm burning wood, and use mixing valves to stretch a single charge out over two or three days.

nofossil said:
As far as I'm concerned, indirect is the way to go. I use a 40 gallon SuperStor for a family of 5. It's good for two long back-to-back showers or three reasonable ones. They're pretty well insulated as they come from the factory, and you can easily add more to really reduce the standby losses.

I got a bit carried away with mine - I deliberately overheat it when I'm burning wood, and use mixing valves to stretch a single charge out over two or three days.

Interesting. I assume it is not the glass lined series, but rather the stainless steel like this:

http://www.energysavingsusa.net/catalog/item/1603486/1056753.htm

With those stats do you think I could get away with the 30 gal? or should I stick with the 45 for resale some day?

**EDIT**

Can this be correct? Heat Transfer Products SSU-45 45 Gallon 52-1/2" x 19-1/4" 84 lbs 141,000 for $839.40

http://www.simplyplumbing.com/heattransferp-ssu-45.html

plus $9.95 shipping?

What doesn't it have that it is suppose to?

In case you are looking for an SSU-45, here is a much cheaper vendor:

http://www.simplyplumbing.com/heattransferp-ssu-45.html

Almost $300 less than the other link. I myself am deciding between the SSU-45 and the SSU-60. I figure for the few extra bucks, over 20 years usage, it might make sense to go with the bigger one. Anyone know if there is there any drawback to going up a size?

sinnian said:
nofossil said:

Interesting. I assume it is not the glass lined series, but rather the stainless steel like this:

http://www.energysavingsusa.net/catalog/item/1603486/1056753.htm

With those stats do you think I could get away with the 30 gal? or should I stick with the 45 for resale some day?

Wow - those things got expensive since I got mine 20 years ago. I think mine is stainless inside, but it has a plain steel outer shell. As to size, more is probably better, so that you can skip days during the shoulder seasons and still have hot water. If you're interested in all of the odd things I've done, look at the 'hot water' section on my site - link in my signature below.

sinnian said:
~ hoping for 40 gal

Thanks ~ Jeff

I think there is a 120g superstor stainless tank in Uncle Henry's for $1000.00. States that it is a year or so old. That's a tank. If the boiler is running you may as well heat a tank.

Mike

sinnian said:
Nofossil,

Can you elaborate on the mixing valve, and what you would recommend?

Thanks ~ Jeff

Look in the hot water section of my site - link in my signature below. I list the part number, plumbing diagram, and theory of operation. Let me know if any of it doesn't make sense.

steam man said:
I think there is a 120g superstor stainless tank in Uncle Henry's for $1000.00. States that it is a year or so old. That's a tank. If the boiler is running you may as well heat a tank.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I did a search on Uncle Henry's and could not find it (perhaps it's gone). If you come across it, will you please PM me the information here?

Thanks ~ Jeff

nofossil said:
Look in the hot water section of my site - link in my signature below. I list the part number, plumbing diagram, and theory of operation. Let me know if any of it doesn't make sense.

Nofissil,

I was unsure because of the storage tank. So basically the cold water is split, with one run to the bottom of the tank and one to the mixing valve where the top of the tank hot water is tied into it.

So regardless if I am turning off the heat supply when there is no demand for DHW I should incorporate a mixing valve?

Thanks Again (and again...) ~ Jeff

sinnian said:
steam man said:

Mike

Thanks Mike. I did a search on Uncle Henry's and could not find it (perhaps it's gone). If you come across it, will you please PM me the information here?

Thanks ~ Jeff

I took another look but didn't see it either. I will look over the print versions.

Mike

sinnian said:
nofossil said:

Nofissil,

I was unsure because of the storage tank. So basically the cold water is split, with one run to the bottom of the tank and one to the mixing valve where the top of the tank hot water is tied into it.

So regardless if I am turning off the heat supply when there is no demand for DHW I should incorporate a mixing valve?

Thanks Again (and again...) ~ Jeff

Mine's more complicated because I preheat the incoming water. You only need a mixing valve if you're going to heat the DHW tank above 125 or so. If you have a wood boiler that doesn't run all the time, then heating the DHW tank to higher temps and using a mixing valve will make the tank last longer. Without the complexities of preheat, you'd only need a single mixing valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.