Self-Contained Wood-Burning Fireplace Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BobTheBuilder

Apr 15, 2023
NE
Firstly, I just want to say thank you in advance for all of your help.

I’m building a passivhaus-style home in the sense of, air tightness. I know fireplaces do not belong in passivhaus’s but…I want one. Wood burning.

I found a model a few years ago that brought air in, burned the wood, blew the heat where (if) desired and vented fumes. It had a double or triple pane sealed glass door. The only downside was it was eye-poppingly expensive— $15,000 to $30,000 expensive. I can’t seem to find it, though.

Does anyone know of a “self-contained”, wood-burning fireplace that is sealed off? And just to note, I’m referring to a modern, linear unit. Not a traditional wood burning stove. The particular unit I found years ago had the option for either gas or wood-burning (if that helps). I have spent the past few days googling it with no luck. Any help would be greatly wappreciated!

There are several high-efficiency EPA zero clearance (ZC) fireplaces on the market. It just depends on the size desired. Look at units by RSF, Valcourt, Pacific Energy, Astria, etc. The price range will start in the $4k range and up.

Last edited:
There are several high-efficiency EPA zero clearance (ZC) fireplaces on the market. It just depends on the size desired. Look at units by RSF, Valcourt, Pacific Energy, Astria, etc. The price range will start in the $4k range and up.
Thank you so much! I stumbled upon the Renaissance Linear 50 on RSF and that caught my eye. I just wasn’t sure about the efficiency and quality of the product. It also wasn’t the fireplace I originally found (no big deal though!).

I’m reading through documents now and I can’t seem to find anything related to air change (specifically, air change per hour). I’m going to do some more research though on the brands you recommended (and the terminology as it’s all new to me— ex. “Zero Clearance”). So thank you again.

On a side note, are there any custom made fireplace companies? I have a mock building that is air sealed to .4ach50 and am looking to insert a fireplace unit to test. Just don’t know which unit to go with!

The Rennaisance 50 is not for 24/7 heating and not EPA tested. It's mostly for the light show of a nice fire so it will not be very efficient. Is that what is desired? It does have the option for an outside air connection. And it has a chimney damper option for passive homes. The Valcourt FP16 St. Laurent is similar it sells for about $8.5k.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding some of the terminology you use (linear, not a stove?), but you'll need an outside air kit with a tight home. Bringing in outside air into the firebox and exhausting of course thru a flue. In a sense that's a sealed system as it has no connection to the air in your home. (Unless you open the door to feed wood.)

Outside air piping should always go horizontal or down, so if the fireplace is underground (e.g. basement) that won't work.

Linear means a wide aspect ratio window. The Rennaissance Linear 50 and the St. Laurent are very wide for a wood fireplace, 15" tall and 46" wide or 12" x 41". Both use a guillotine window for sealing.
The outside air instructions for the Linear 50 fireplace say:
The outside air intake should not exceed 12' of vertical rise and can NOT terminate within 5' of the chimney top.

For the St. Laurent it says:
  • The outside wall termination (E) must not be installed:
    • At more than 50% of the total height of the chimney;
    • At more than 10 ft. (3 m) above the base of the fireplace;
    • At more than 3 ft. Below the base of the fireplace.
  • The fresh air must come from outside the house. The air intake must not draw air from the attic, from the basement, or from a garage.
  • The outside wall termination should be installed where it is not likely to be blocked by snow or exposed to extreme wind and away from automobile exhaust fumes, gas meter and other vents.
  • The insulated flexible pipe and the outside wall termination can be installed over or under the floor level.

Reactions: stoveliker
Firstly, I just want to say thank you in advance for all of your help.

I’m building a passivhaus-style home in the sense of, air tightness. I know fireplaces do not belong in passivhaus’s but…I want one. Wood burning.

I found a model a few years ago that brought air in, burned the wood, blew the heat where (if) desired and vented fumes. It had a double or triple pane sealed glass door. The only downside was it was eye-poppingly expensive— $15,000 to $30,000 expensive. I can’t seem to find it, though.

Does anyone know of a “self-contained”, wood-burning fireplace that is sealed off? And just to note, I’m referring to a modern, linear unit. Not a traditional wood burning stove. The particular unit I found years ago had the option for either gas or wood-burning (if that helps). I have spent the past few days googling it with no luck. Any help would be greatly wappreciated!
Since you’re doing a “new build”, just install a fresh-air recirc system. I did this a number of years ago when I built a very tight home (fully insulated with closed—cell).