Selkirk chimney to stove pipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Birkie

Dec 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Stove pipe section.jpg

Seems like it should be so simple -- I just need about six feet of stove pipe to hook up my 1993-95 Lopi Endeavor. But the Selkirk chimney installed by the pros requires an adaptor at each end: a stovepipe adaptor at the top piece (which is 6" single wall pipe) and a stove adaptor at the collar of the firebox (also 6" inner diameter). I don't like the idea of so many different sections just to make a six foot run. This system is for double wall pipe.

Is there any way to use fewer pieces with single wall pipe? The problem is the piece hanging down from the ceiling is not crimped, so I can't connect a regular piece of single wall pipe.

Last edited:
I am no expert but I did use the cheap Selkirk on my oil boiler chimney and did some research prior to that install.

Not sure what model Selkirk you have but take a look at the link below then download the catalog for SureTemp in the literature section. In the Adapter section of the downloaded catalog you will see the dripless adapters. It looks like they installed a dripless adapter and if I read it correctly it will slip into single wall and would not need crimping. It says the adapter is designed for single wall.... But you must have clearances to that back wall to use single wall in your installation. There is also a download for instructions on the link below. BTW In the catalog right below the dripless adapters is a "Chimney Pipe Adapter" that I used on my oil boiler chimney installation. It is crimped.

https://www.selkirkcorp.com/en/product/suretemp/

On my Jotul F45 I connect the stove pipe directly to the stove because the adapter was a horribly loose fit.

well you can if clearance allow just get a 6" telescope single wall pipe and call it a day, or take out the existing single wall pipe thats connecting to the ceiling support box, install the proper adapter then run the whole length in dvl to the stove collar, terminating into another adapter.

I am no expert but I did use the cheap Selkirk on my oil boiler chimney and did some research prior to that install.

Not sure what model Selkirk you have but take a look at the link below then download the catalog for SureTemp in the literature section. In the Adapter section of the downloaded catalog you will see the dripless adapters. It looks like they installed a dripless adapter and if I read it correctly it will slip into single wall and would not need crimping. It says the adapter is designed for single wall.... But you must have clearances to that back wall to use single wall in your installation. There is also a download for instructions on the link below. BTW In the catalog right below the dripless adapters is a "Chimney Pipe Adapter" that I used on my oil boiler chimney installation. It is crimped.

https://www.selkirkcorp.com/en/product/suretemp/

On my Jotul F45 I connect the stove pipe directly to the stove because the adapter was a horribly loose fit.
Thank you! This gave me the courage to take the ceiling plate off. The dripless adaptor/stovepipe unscrewed off the insulated attic chimney. So hopefully I can find that dripless adaptor alone and connect it to a regular piece of stove pipe, all with crimps facing down. Luckily I do have the clearances for single wall pipe.

Dripless adaptor.jpg Attic chimney at ceiling.jpg

That top piece of single wall that you removed. It should be the right diameter to slide right inside the next piece of regular single wall. It is the slip joint. No other parts required.

Check if the above is true. The piece you removed should be just what you need.

At the bottom, most stoves you just shove the single wall into the stove collar. Did you try that to see if it fits? Do you even have the single wall pipe in hand?

Reactions: Birkie
Excellent info. I will get the single wall in my trip to the big city this weekend. I can test the dripless adaptor/pipe connection in the stove store. According to the video below, the dripless adaptor/stovepipe should slip inside the single wall stove pipe, keeping the creosote in, and the length is adjustable so I don't have to cut any stovepipe. THANK you for pointing this out, would love to use what I already have.

I see this description on the Selkirk video at 2:20 min. Selkirk slip joint video

I have double wall stove pipe in hand, but it needs the adaptor at top and bottom which I don't have. I'd rather do single wall stove pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam