Selkirk Chimney Tutorial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

milesmoony

Dec 8, 2019
Olympic Peninsula
Hi everyone, I’m in the middle of my first wood stove install and boy have a I been frustrated by the Selkirk sure temp chimney system. It’s not that I think it’s a bad product, it’s just their instructions couldn’t be more convoluted. Anyway, I have a couple questions I’m hoping I can get answers to. The main connection I’m struggling with is where the double wall smoke pipe meets up with the chimney. I have the chimney pipe adapter, the finishing band, the locking band, and the finish ceiling support to contend with. The finish ceiling support is in the ceiling. The chimney has the chimney pipe adapter twist locked into it. You drop the chimney pipe into the finish ceiling support and then.. ? It won’t go into the finish ceiling support with the locking band holding the chimney pipe adapter to the chimney pipe. So I’m assuming you leave the locking band out? And then how in the world do you connect the double wall pipe to the chimney pipe adapter with the finishing band. Would really appreciate some feedback on this one

The pipe gets dropped in, then the stovepipe adaptor goes on. The clamp supports the pipe in the box.

I was assuming you have a cathedral ceiling support. Is that the case or is it a round ceiling support?

Something like this? I struggled a bit trying to decipher the instructions also, it was my first install, so the part names were new to me, it just took a bit of patience & thought to get the puzzle together. It doesn’t leak air or smoke so I guess I did it correctly.
1788A97D-F1EA-4495-8F09-6A6246E72A88.jpeg

That looks correct. Typically the trim collar would cover the crimps though.

Reactions: JimBear
I think these are the instructions you are talking about
C7E1DEA3-D035-4285-A904-09EA8CA2FF02.jpeg

Nope, no cathedral ceiling. Just a finish ceiling support. The chimney drops into it from above. I was trying to put it together on the floor before going for the install. Couldn’t figure out how to get it all lined up and locked in place with the dsp pipe connecting to the chimney pipe adapter. Guess I’ll just have to go for it. Just found this sort of useful video from Selkirk might be helpful for some folks:

If you are using a locking band to attach the stovepipe adaptor that may be your problem. There’s no reason for one since the weight of the chimney is on it.

That looks correct. Typically the trim collar would cover the crimps though.
The crimp was almost 2-1/2” long, I couldn’t get my adapter & telescoping end shoved any farther together. I was concerned about a possible leak but haven’t noticed anything yet. I have about 1-1/2” of crimp covered with the band. It’s not as pretty looking as the picture shows but I believe it’s functional & safe. I am going to cut a wider band out of a length of black pipe to make it cover as per installation manual.

Nope, no cathedral ceiling. Just a finish ceiling support. The chimney drops into it from above. I was trying to put it together on the floor before going for the install. Couldn’t figure out how to get it all lined up and locked in place with the dsp pipe connecting to the chimney pipe adapter. Guess I’ll just have to go for it. Just found this sort of useful video from Selkirk might be helpful for some folks:
They skipped running a bead of silicone around the storm collar in the video.