Selkirk sure temp chimmey questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brucek1$

Nov 21, 2017
Cook mn
Was going to purchase my new chimney pipe for my new stove and my local hardware store sells the selkirk sure temp line of chimney. Decided to do some research on it first and kinda found some mixed reviews on it. Main thing i read was the pipe would leak through the seam on the outside. Does anyone have any experience with this pipe? Id like to use it as i can get everything for about $600

When I had a small leak and read that a leak could occur through the seam, I used silicon to seal the seam. The leak seemed to diminish but occasionally still a small leak occurred. Then when I had the house re-roofed, the leak ended. Last of story was that the leak only occurred during high winds, and the problem was the chimney/roof interface, not the seam. So, can't agree or disagree about the seam leaking -- only that the seam was not the issue with my chimney.

When I had a small leak and read that a leak could occur through the seam, I used silicon to seal the seam. The leak seemed to diminish but occasionally still a small leak occurred. Then when I had the house re-roofed, the leak ended. Last of story was that the leak only occurred during high winds, and the problem was the chimney/roof interface, not the seam. So, can't agree or disagree about the seam leaking -- only that the seam was not the issue with my chimney.
What kind of silicone did you use to seal it? And are all the brands of chimney that selkirk makes have the folded seams?

I wonder if the people that have leaks also have a pipe joint above the storm collar....maybe add another storm collar above that joint. I find it very hard to believe that the vertical seam would leak.

Water traveling down seamed pipe joint is a known issue with some chimney pipe. The best have no folded seam on the outside surface. We had this issue with older Metalbest pipe. No amount of sealing at the storm collar worked. The final solution was to silicone the seam from the storm collar to the top of that section of chimney pipe. Never had a problem again with that chimney dripping.

Ventis Class A pipe is Welded, no folded seams. Made in PA, and is also sold under different names. Champion - Woodland Direct,
Rock Vent - Rockford Chimney.

Excell is also welded seam. And i beleive both selkirk and dura have higher end lines with welded seams