Selling a wood stove - Craigslist, FB Marketplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenLiving57

Aug 3, 2018
Southwestern USA
I have three wood stoves I need to sell, (range from really nice pricey ones, to an old Fisher I have rusting away outside) and am wondering if Craigslist is the way to go - and where the heck do you put it on Craigslist - Farm & Garden, or Appliances, or General for sale? I suppose if someone actually searches for "wood stove" it will come up anywhere........also wondering if Facebook Marketplace is a possibility, although I hate advertising expensive stuff with my name on it in today's world. I like the way Craigslist allows you to be totally anonymous until you feel comfortable giving out personal contact info.....

I'm an old guy, old school, and remember the good ole days when you had anything to sell, you simply put a small cheap classified in the local Newspaper.......ahh the good ole days......when you rarely got marriage proposals from Nigerian Princesses every time you listed sumthin' for sale........

Give craigslist a try. There also is a free classified section on this site.

Reactions: GreenLiving57
Where is the classified here? Never knew there was one.

Reactions: ClintonH
Thanks, There should be a tab with "classified" on the top of the main page. I've been here on/off since 2010 and never knew there was a classified section. It's way to buried.

Reactions: stoveliker
Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 5.51.19 PM.png
Summer is a good time to explore the other forums

The main issue in my opinion in selling a wood stove is finding someone with the experience, skill, and either 4 - 6 strong young backs, or a motorized dolly to move the 550 lb monsters!!! I have had a lot of people ask "will you deliver"......um, NO! ;)

I would use the classifieds here, but I don't believe I could fit a wood stove into an Express mail packet........ ;)

As others have said, lots of free options. My suggestion would be to build a good keyword list in your ad. woodstove, wood stove, fire wood, fireplace, fire place, etc. I know when I was looking for 'technically' a "fireplace insert", I'd get different results searching for all those different words. I think I actually ended up with a "wood stove" which is a square box that fits in my fireplace. Seller had sort of mis-named it at least to my way of thinking.

Anyway, good luck! Summer might be a hard sell. I'd wager most people (off this forum, anyway) are waiting till October/November to start looking for wood heat, then likely November/December to start getting wood!

Reactions: GreenLiving57
View attachment 297197
Summer is a good time to explore the other forums
If a goal of this website owners is to drive traffic to this site, A classified tab at the Top of the Main Page is in my mind a must. I for 1 would have been pretty active at least checking things out there. As it is there is not much activity and i'll probably forget it even exists. Not trying to be difficult or too critical, just trying to help see an opportunity for growth here.

There's not an appearance of a lot of activity because one can only post the ad. There is no other posting other than the listing. All chatter needs to be done by PM. That reduces the moderator load a lot.

There's not an appearance of a lot of activity because one can only post the ad. There is no other posting other than the listing. All chatter needs to be done by PM. That reduces the moderator load a lot.
Yes, that makes a ton of sense. But still i think this site could be the preeminent place for used woodstoves, inserts, parts etc. Maybe that's not a goal of the site owners?

Thanks for all the helpful tips! Actually in my area, high in the Rocky Mountains, where Stoves are sometimes needed during the summer, and full time by early fall, I'm getting quite a few "hits" already on my Craigslist ads! I was at a Lopi dealer this week who says business is brisk, and I need to order now to get it by early fall! Of course, they ARE
As others have said, lots of free options. My suggestion would be to build a good keyword list in your ad. woodstove, wood stove, fire wood, fireplace, fire place, etc. I know when I was looking for 'technically' a "fireplace insert", I'd get different results searching for all those different words. I think I actually ended up with a "wood stove" which is a square box that fits in my fireplace. Seller had sort of mis-named it at least to my way of thinking.

Anyway, good luck! Summer might be a hard sell. I'd wager most people (off this forum, anyway) are waiting till October/November to start looking for wood heat, then likely November/December to start getting wood!

Sorry for the above post, something happened, only half my post got posted, I musta clicked something wrong! Anyway, thanks so much for all the helpful tips.

Yes, some 2022 stove inventories are already spoken for. This could be a snooze you lose fall season. Same thing for firewood.