Selling cords

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
For those who do sell, and those who purchase.
What are everyone's opinions on rounds in the mix. I actually like burning them. The grain always seem so dense in them.
I get a lot of limb wood. Like I said, it burns well for me, and so easy to process. I get much more of that than wood providing straight splits.
I'm thinking of mixing some of the straight rounds into my sale wood. All in the 3-5'' dia range.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking of mixing some of the straight rounds into my sale wood. All in the 3-5'' dia range.
1645896326912.png

I'd ask if I can split 3 and measure their moisture content (given bark all around). But I'd be happy to get such rounds if they are <20%.

I would say though that I think splits light off easier/quicker, and that some folks (e.g. non 24/7 burners) might prefer that. I mean, I know when to reload for a <1 minute light-off, and for rounds I would reload in a slightly hotter firebox than for splits. This is of course only an issue if the load would be "all rounds" rather than mixed. (I have mixed, put a few splits on the bottom/coals, and would put the rounds on top of that).

But then again this shows I thought about it, and most folks really don't, I guess. (Not saying my thinking is correct - it's just my thinking and how I handle rounds.)

Reactions: all night moe
I use the same method with splits and rounds. Like you said, I do use a good bed of coals too when getting just rounds to ignite.
Clientele in these parts burn for heat and heat alone. I could always season and stack separately and ask before sale to a mix of good hardwoods. Trying to increase my output of sales. Normally I had always saved the rounds for myself. With an increase in available limb wood, I'll have more than I need in ugly knots and unions for the furnace alone. I'd like to put some straights in sales.

Reactions: stoveliker
If the chainsaw touches it, I consider it firewood. I can't see how it would be a deal breaker to a buyer if the smaller stuff is 1/4 of the delivered amount. My wife is always telling me how much she likes "the sticks" mixed into our piles. I'm sure it has alot to do with the fact they are much easier for herto carry to the stove than a 10lb split.

If the chainsaw touches it, I consider it firewood. I can't see how it would be a deal breaker to a buyer if the smaller stuff is 1/4 of the delivered amount. My wife is always telling me how much she likes "the sticks" mixed into our piles. I'm sure it has alot to do with the fact they are much easier for herto carry to the stove than a 10lb split.
My saws touch more wood then I could ever consider to be firewood. I burn box elder trunk and all outside, just for disposal.
I do tree work and process all kinds of crap.

I sold wood for years and some frowned upon the limb wood not being split..so I split everything from that point on...for myself I love burning unsplit limb wood..I once got into a bunch of standing dead elm...nothing over 8-10 inches...I did not split one single piece of it and it burned great!

Reactions: all night moe