Separate fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lumberjill

Mar 17, 2017
Port Angeles, WA
I have a Lopi 380T, the original version of what's now called Endeavor. The house has a nice alcove and an open floor plan. I'd like to put a fan behind the stove to blow more head out of the alcove. I'm thinking just a simple Walmart or Target fan. Please, can you guide me in whatever direction I should be going?
Maybe putting the fan in front of the stove so it blows into the cool air intake that's under the ash tray? Thx!
upload_2017-3-17_13-36-37.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Set up a floor fan so it blows air toward the stove. Do not blow air directly into the air intake.

Lumberjill,

Beautiful looking install you have, I love the built in tool hooks on the right side. Most around here agree the most effective way to get heat from the stove to another place in the house is to blow cool air from that place towards the stove. Usually what is suggested is to go as far from the stove as you can, like down the hall way to where you want the warm air to end up, then put a fan on the floor blowing slowly back towards the stove. Cool air is less dense and is easier to move back towards the stove then pushing the more dense air away from the stove. This cool air moving towards the stove then helps establish a convection loop and, if it works right, warm air will basically be drawn into the empty space where the cool air was. This is oversimplifying what is going on but I hope it makes some form of sense.

A drawing, even a rough one, of your floorplan and what you would like to accomplish should allow us to better understand and hopefully help more.

huauqui

Cool air is more dense than warm air. Cool air sinks and warm air rises. I agree with everything else @huauqui said.