Separation Between Garage and Wood Burning Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
A recent post about a fella interested in installing a wood stove in his garage (who was bashed because that is not to NFPA 211 code) got me thinking about the following:

In my neck of the woods, many homes built in the 60's- 80's are split levels. As such, many have a garage built into the basement.

Would it be against NFPA code to have a wood stove in the basement if the garage is in the basement as well?

How about if there is a firewall between the two parts of the basement?

Is the code read as a wood stove and garage not being able to share the same roof?

What is an appropriate separation if they can share a roof?

pen

NFPA 211 is not a code. It's one chapter of a library full of standards, written and maintained by a group of industry professionals from the disciplines involved. NFPA is not a government agency. However, because of its standing as the "industry standard" for safety, and because it would be impractical to assemble a similar group of people every time a code needs to be written, many code-issuing authorities across the country have adopted the provisions of NFPA 211, either in its entirety or at least in part, when putting their local codes (which are the law) into effect. Whether or not some specific provision of NFPA 211 (for example, the prohibition of solid fuel-burning appliances in any garage) is applicable in any specific location must be ascertained by consulting the local code requirements. This is why the phrase Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) comes up so frequently in these discussions. It's quite possible for someone to build an installation in strict accordance with every detail of what's in NFPA 211 and have the thing shot down by the AHJ. So the answer to your question, pen, needs to be determined locally...because the answer to your question where you live might be different than the answer to the same question where somebbody else lives. Reading what NFPA 211 says about it is an interesting first step, but should never be the last step...because there may well be more to the story. Rick

fossil said:
NFPA 211 is not a code. It's one chapter of a library full of standards, written and maintained by a group of industry professionals from the disciplines involved. NFPA is not a government agency. However, because of its standing as the "industry standard" for safety, and because it would be impractical to assemble a similar group of people every time a code needs to be written, many code-issuing authorities across the country have adopted the provisions of NFPA 211, either in its entirety or at least in part, when putting their local codes (which are the law) into effect. Whether or not some specific provision of NFPA 211 (for example, the prohibition of solid fuel-burning appliances in any garage) is applicable in any specific location must be ascertained by consulting the local code requirements. This is why the phrase Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) comes up so frequently in these discussions. It's quite possible for someone to build an installation in strict accordance with every detail of what's in NFPA 211 and have the thing shot down by the AHJ. So the answer to your question, pen, needs to be determined locally...because the answer to your question where you live might be different than the answer to the same question where somebbody else lives. Reading what NFPA 211 says about it is an interesting first step, but should never be the last step...because there may well be more to the story. Rick
Nice job Rick! Also the International Residential Code for one and two family dwellings (the building code adopted almost everywhere now) Section R309.2 Separation required....says "The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side.Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent." .....and a 20 min. door. So now the rest of the house is not part of the garage.

NFPA 211-2002
12.2.3 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location
where gasoline or any other flammable vapors or gases are likely to be present.
12.2.4 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any residential
garage.

fossil: Thanks for the clear response. I think many people don't understand the structure or hierarchy of what makes for a legal install.

In my area, there are no codes officers that will be checking (only have electrical inspections) so for us, looking to see what NFPA recommends is the best bet for a safe installation.

tfdchief: That is EXACTLY what I was wondering. I've searched and searched but can't find the standards in PDF form to read w/out paying for it. Therefore, I couldn't find what you had shared. I am interested in understanding it, but w/out being an installer myself, just don't see the point in ponying up the $. That separation explanation makes common sense as well.

Thanks as always,

pen

elmoleaf said:
NFPA 211-2002
garage.

I have read that part before. Basically, the question boils down to what is an appropriate separation between a garage and the rest of the dwelling. tfdchief did a great job of explaining that.

pen

elmoleaf said:
NFPA 211-2002
garage.

Right. That's the standard as written by NFPA. It may or it may not be the code to which one must build where one lives. The local code might say just exactly what NFPA 211 recommends (many do just that)...or it may say something different. In any case, it's the local code that has the force of law, not NFPA 211. The local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) has the final say. Rick

pen said:
...Basically, the question boils down to what is an appropriate separation between a garage and the rest of the dwelling. tfdchief did a great job of explaining that.

pen

Here it's all about fire-rating of the separating walls and doors. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but it seems to me my builder used 5/8" fire-rated drywall and steel clad doors between the garages and the living quarters. There was a notation stamped on the building plans by the permitting folks at the county building calling that out for special attention during inspection. Rick

All great posts here explaining the codes and standards. Pen, Even though you (or anyone for that matter) don't have adopted codes and or an AHJ, then I think that wanting to go by them is the intelligent thing to do, because they are designed to be the minimum standards for a safe installation and who wouldn't want to do that? "Beating the code" is just kidding yourself. As Fossil said, in his jurisdiction they required 5/8 in fire rated drywall among other things.....a little more than some other places. If you want to be safe, go with the minimum standard or better. I hate putting on my other hat when things go up in flames for reasons that could have been avoided. :-S

Pen, If you want to look at the IRC 2000 here is a site that has it for free, in searchable pdf format. http://www.naffainc.com/x/IRC2000/Index2.htm You will need a flash player installed to use it (you probably already have that) The NFPA standards are expensive. My city pays about $900 a year for the subscription :ahhh: so I can't help you there.

tfdchief said:
Pen, If you want to look at the IRC 2000 here is a site that has it for free, in searchable pdf format. http://www.naffainc.com/x/IRC2000/Index2.htm You will need a flash player installed to use it (you probably already have that) The NFPA standards are expensive. My city pays about $900 a year for the subscription :ahhh: so I can't help you there.

That is an outstanding link! Thanks for sharing. I am not familiar with IRC 2000. Are they a company that a township or city can hire to do their inspections? Around our area we have a group called COG that does building inspections / permits. For them to be a part of the area the township, or borough supervisors need to vote them in. Right now though several municipalities are dropping COG as they are going bankrupt and have slow service.

While the costs involved with inspectors may seem high, had inspections been in my area there would have been a big savings to me (the second owner of my home) from having to fix all of the things that I have found were wrong with my home even after it passed a general house inspection! (including chimney probs)

Thanks again

pen

pen said:
tfdchief said:

That is an outstanding link! Thanks for sharing. I am not familiar with IRC 2000. Are they a company that a township or city can hire to do their inspections? Around our area we have a group called COG that does building inspections / permits. For them to be a part of the area the township, or borough supervisors need to vote them in. Right now though several municipalities are dropping COG as they are going bankrupt and have slow service.

While the costs involved with inspectors may seem high, had inspections been in my area there would have been a big savings to me (the second owner of my home) from having to fix all of the things that I have found were wrong with my home even after it passed a general house inspection! (including chimney probs)

Thanks again

pen
Sorry Pen. The IRC 2000 is the International Residential Building Code (one and two family dwellings) The ICC (International Code Council) is the only code writing body since 2000. All the other model codes (like BOCA) consolidated to form the ICC. So chances are most governments who have adopted codes will be using the ICC codes. There just isn't any others (except for the NFPA building code which no one except California has EVER adopted. And I think they went back to the ICC codes.) There are some states that write there own codes however. And a government might have adopted a newer version than the 2000 but I don't think the section I quoted has changed.

tfdchief, appreciate the response again. Sounds like our locals are probably following these then. And COG is just the name of the folks that we chose to do so.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.