Septic tank health

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
After reading the thread on alternative drain fields it prompted me to think about my septic system. Which does have an alternative drain field. The PO of the home rarely lived here so when we bought the place the guy that inspected it said it didnt need pumped and actually added some water to it. Fast forward 4 years and I figured I'd pull the lid and check it out. 1st there was no filter I could see, just the outlet stand pipe. I wrapped a section of cheese cloth around a stick and to avoid the scum layer i went down through the outlet. I swished the stick around at the bottom and there doesn't seem to be any discernable solid layer. Then i probed the scum layer. It was about 4" thick. So 4" of scum, 50" of water and not much of any solids. Does this seem correct?

Edit: there are 3 people in the house . With work and school we probably use it for solid waste 2 to 3 times per day.

Last edited:
If your concerned hire the local pumping outfit to clean it out. I just did had my sys. done that was installed in '06 I believe. It was due according to the pump fella. Mine has a filter. It was very plugged. nice to be done prior to freeze up. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Its always tough to get a service person to come out to my place. I'm only 15 miles off the beaten path but for some reason they seem to jack the price up high enough to act as a deterrent. Figured I'd get a sense of the situation before I started trying to get someone out here.

Reactions: moresnow
Sounds like their system is working properly your scum layer is actually your solids so the bacteria is working properly and maintaining your system breaking down the solids layer. You could probably get away with another year and check it again... You can go to any plumbing supply house and buy the drop in filter for cheap

Sounds like it's working. We had to replace the old cast iron pipe from the tank to field this year. It was totally plugged with rust and broke into pieces when we got to it. We replaced it with pvc and filled in the hole. Should be good for ANOTHER 40-50 years.

I am getting a filter you put on the washing machine waste exit side as that sounds like the biggest issue with fibers.
What kind of overflow protection do they have? Doesn't seem like a lot of room for error if a filter plugs.

Seems like a nice little filter. but honestly out of all the systems iv dealt with and tank filters i have cleaned i see next to no lint in the filters it gets trapped in the solids layer... filter/traps usually get plugged with grease/fats and some other things like condoms that don't totally stick to the solids layer. Yes we had some idiot flushing condoms cost me a days labor to clean up the mess and big money to have the honey wagon come in on a holiday and pump the tank. For the most part the filters do not ever get plugged enough to stop flow to the field

If you put a filter at the tank outlet, it will require regular pulling and cleaning.

Edit: also, I dont think I've heard of adding water to a septic tank before.

If you put a filter at the tank outlet, it will require regular pulling and cleaning.

Edit: also, I dont think I've heard of adding water to a septic tank before.
Used to look after 12 septic systems 10 years of working their only ever had one filter plug due to condoms... Only times the filters got cleaned is when i pumped the tanks on a 2-4 year cycle.

I installed a septic tank effluent filter https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/septic-tank-outlet-filter-installation.175595/
I first installed a filter at our clothes washer but it was easily overwhelmed by our family of 4 and 4 dogs. I later routed the washer to a nearby utility sink and installed a drain strainer there. It's been much easier to maintain.
I clean the septic filter yearly but it looks like I could easily extend that out to 4 years or more.

I'm in the same boat. 2 girls, 2 dogs and a cat produce a lot of hair. No room for a utility sink. Next spring after the snow is gone I plan to have it pumped and I'll install a tank filter

I installed a septic tank effluent filter https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/septic-tank-outlet-filter-installation.175595/
I first installed a filter at our clothes washer but it was easily overwhelmed by our family of 4 and 4 dogs. I later routed the washer to a nearby utility sink and installed a drain strainer there. It's been much easier to maintain.
I clean the septic filter yearly but it looks like I could easily extend that out to 4 years or more.

What filter did you use on the washing machine?

What filter did you use on the washing machine?
I tried several. All I recall is that we had to empty them about every 3rd washer use and that the clothes washer didn't like it when they were even partially clogged. Even without the influence of dog hair, it's amazing how much stuff comes from your clothes and pockets. Imagine your dryer's lint filter in a soggy form. It was just too much work and we decided to catch what we could in a simple drain strainer and then let the septic tank pumpers deal with the rest.

What I really need to do is put a gate valve on the drain line and send the gray water to the yard. Need to see if my county allows it.

What I really need to do is put a gate valve on the drain line and send the gray water to the yard. Need to see if my county allows it.
That is exactly what I am getting ready to do. A dry well for grey water.

I am thinking a valve would be frowned on. Too much reliance on manual intervention to make things work right. Generally speaking. Although not sure I'm clear on your plan. Not sure about gray water into yard either, but a dry well might do it.

You’d think “grey” water would be pretty clean since it’s just soapy water but I’ve been an rv camper for decades and they have separate waste tanks for Grey water and black which includes poop. That grey water can be nasty and stinky too. You don’t want to dump all Grey water on the lawn. Laundry water maybe but do it a long ways from where you live.

You’d think “grey” water would be pretty clean since it’s just soapy water but I’ve been an rv camper for decades and they have separate waste tanks for Grey water and black which includes poop. That grey water can be nasty and stinky too. You don’t want to dump all Grey water on the lawn. Laundry water maybe but do it a long ways from where you live.
Yeah, I experienced this first-hand just yesterday when I was cleaning out a condensing clothes dryer we just bought 2nd hand.

Of course it depends on what you put in your grey water. That's what the article I posted above discusses.
My sister once had a house with a dedicated grey water tank under their porch. A submersible pump fed a lawn sprinkler. I'm not sure what they put in their greywater but it never stank and they always had a great looking lawn. No doubt, drip or some other method of shallow subsurface application would have avoided any issues with odors.

My bigger point though is that applying this in the biologically active horizon of the soil allows plants and microbes to eat the stuff up. Once you inject it in the subsurface, say through a dry well, you've lost that opportunity, and groundwater quality may be impacted.

Last edited:
Yeah, I experienced this first-hand just yesterday when I was cleaning out a condensing clothes dryer we just bought 2nd hand.

Of course it depends on what you put in your grey water. That's what the article I posted above discusses.
My sister once had a house with a dedicated grey water tank under their porch. A submersible pump fed a lawn sprinkler. I'm not sure what they put in their greywater but it never stank and they always had a great looking lawn. No doubt, drip or some other method of shallow subsurface application would have avoided any issues with odors.

My bigger point though is that applying this in the biologically active horizon of the soil allows plants and microbes to eat the stuff up. Once you inject it in the subsurface, say through a dry well, you've lost that opportunity, and groundwater quality may be impacted.

Phosphates in soap (especially old soap recipes)are a nutrient that plants love.