Severe Weather 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If this forecast is correct, it will still be nice inside.
image1.png

• Wow
Reactions: rottiman
Chill--I would not even put my "little toe" outside and sure hope your stove will be on...Look at the Lake Placid one---ugh...clancey

Not quite "severe", but cold here Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night. Will see if that is 8 or 12 hr reloading.

Screenshot_20220109-193825~2.png

Reactions: thewoodlands
Originally they were predicting -26 here Monday night. They have now said only -18. Either way, acolder week than we have had.

Tonight

Chance of flurries
0°F
30%
Chance of flurries

Mon
10 Jan
Chance of flurries

7°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Night
Partly cloudy

-18°F

Partly cloudy
Tue
11 Jan
Sunny

1°F

Sunny
Night
Chance of flurries

1°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Wed
12 Jan
Chance of flurries

25°F
60%
Chance of flurries
Night
Chance of flurries

7°F
40%
Chance of flurries
Thu
13 Jan
Cloudy

12°F

Cloudy
Night
Chance of flurries

-4°F
30%
Chance of flurries
Fri
14 Jan
A mix of sun and cloud

9°F

A mix of sun and cloud
Night
Chance of flurries

-6°F
40%
Chance of flurries
Sat
15 Jan
Chance of flurries

10°F
60%
Chance of flurries

Originally they were predicting -26 here Monday night. They have now said only -18.

then get the t-shirt back out ;-)

Happy burning!

Coldest I’ve ever been was in Scranton PA January of ‘14 working night shift on a Frac crew. We had battery’s freezing and busting on pumps that were running _g
You all can keep that -30F and below stuff!

ENWCoastalStormPotChannel10Jan.jpg

With the storm being several days away, adjustments to the forecast are likely, once a definitive track and overlay of moisture can be ascertained.
After that, there is the potential for the clipper system to strengthen quickly upon reaching the mid-Atlantic coast early next week.
This coastal evolution would be a way for heavy snow and major travel disruptions to develop along the Interstate 95 corridor. However, the heavy snow risk would be contingent on the track of the storm.
"A lot can happen a week away, and changes to plans and travel are not warranted at this point," Anderson said, explaining that there is just as much chance for the storm on Monday to swing well out to sea before making a northward turn.
One such storm will do just that several days earlier. A storm that forms well off the mid-Atlantic coast is projected to swing northward and produce heavy snow and strong winds over part of Atlantic Canada from later Friday to Saturday. AccuWeather meteorologists will monitor this storm for any westward jog that might bring snow to Boston and coastal areas of New Hampshire and Maine.
"For now, it appears the greatest impacts in eastern New England from the Atlantic Canada storm late this week and early this weekend will be increasing winds and rough seas," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Courtney Travis said.
AccuWeather's long-range meteorologists have a storm on their radar for later next week, and they say it may bring wintry trouble to the East.
"The weather pattern during the period from Jan. 20-22 supports heavy snow and disruptions to school and commerce from the central Appalachians to the interior Northeast if a storm takes the track we believe occurs," AccuWeather Lead Long-Range Meteorologist Paul Pastelok said.
polarvortexgif-small.gif

A southward displacement of the polar vortex for January was predicted many weeks in advance and will continue to bring waves of cold air to the Midwest and the Northeast over the next week or two.
Pastelok pointed to a continuance of the southward displacement of the polar vortex, as well as weather factors occurring in the Pacific Ocean and jet stream patterns along the Atlantic seaboard later next week that suggest such a storm may come about.
Regardless of the potential for changing details in the days ahead, the overall weather pattern will continue to operate in a fairly typical January mode for the Midwest and Eastern states and that means that multiple storms are likely to evolve through the end of the month with opportunities for accumulating snow and accompanying travel disruptions, despite a lull during the early part of this week.

Well, the oak is ready :)
While the kids like it, snow sucks tho for my solar panels. Glad the rain at 38 yesterday cleaned Friday's snow off the panels - today was sunny. Made 10.5 kWh today, which is quite good for a 7.2 kW system facing East and West early January. Likely covered all I used today (as I did not use the minisplit but the stove).

Snow in March sucks more though; sun is higher then, so I'm loosing more kWhs.

Well, the oak is ready :)
While the kids like it, snow sucks tho for my solar panels. Glad the rain at 38 yesterday cleaned Friday's snow off the panels - today was sunny. Made 10.5 kWh today, which is quite good for a 7.2 kW system facing East and West early January. Likely covered all I used today (as I did not use the minisplit but the stove).

Snow in March sucks more though; sun is higher then, so I'm loosing more kWhs.
The lack of snow up here still has the gates locked up on the snowmobile trails, there goes a bunch of money the county would collect tax wise.

• Sad
Reactions: stoveliker