Shameless bragging...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
We've been in our house (our first) nearly a year now. I started scrounging as soon as we got all of the immediate stuff done like painting, fixing little things, etc... I started out with no saw (and no stove) at all and eventually picked up an Echo CS-400 18". The maul, wedges, and sledge came from my dad. Little by little I picked up powerline trimmings, Craigslist freebies, free firewood days along with lots of hardwood pallets. Eventually I bought a barely used Englander 28-3500 add-on furnace from another Hearth.com member for a great price. Also along the way I picked up a non-running old McCulloch 610 60cc with a 20" bar for free. $80.00 at the saw shop was all it took to get running like a top again. After spending nearly $1500 on oil (all while keeping the house at a chilly 66 degrees) this past winter I'm looking forward to keeping our windows open in January ;) Anyway, here are the fruits of my labor thus far:

process1.jpg

process2.jpg

storage1.jpg

Despite the aching shoulders, poison ivy, and time spent humping rounds into the backyard, it's a damn good feeling to look outside and know that my supply of heat is within 10 paces of my back door.

Ye'r doing just fine :)

Looking good. Keep on keeping on. That Pro-Mac 610 is a hoss. I cut many a cord of oak with mine. Until it popped a fuel line running full bore and set my shirt on fire. I hid behind a tree while it burned and finally melted down. :ahhh:

Nice start so far Badfish. I have to give you scroungers maximum credit for dedication to duty...esp for all the extra wood handling steps you're all willing to endure. Wood's an easy take for me but if I had to scrounge ...I dunno.

Next time you're at the drug store pick up some TecNu. If you like to follow directions it's supposed to be an after wash when your working around poison ivy. But I put it on all exposed skin while I'm working and after and don't wash it off till I showed at the end of the day. It's works so well I got about 3 or 4 bottles floating around different pieces of equipment...that way it always around where I'm at. Since using that I haven't had to go to the DRs for poison ivy relief...and it doesn't oil up the shin and give you than clammy feeling either.

And congratulations on being a first time homeowner...now your earning equity.

I like the use of the skids to hold the ends of the stacks from falling looks like it would be better than driving stakes in to the ground and if you ever wanted to move your stack someone with forks on a skid loader or fel. could pick it up and put it where you wanted it. Looks good enjoy being warm this winter and laugh at the Oil Man when he drives past your house and cries when he sees your wood piles.

Status
Not open for further replies.