Sharpening file direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I had a file with a guide for a smaller chainsaw, I recently bought files (no guide or handle) for my larger one. Which direction should the file move or does it matter? I don't see instructions on the package. The image below is from the chainsaw manual. The file I have has a tapered end as shown, move it in the direction of the arrow?

upload_2017-10-29_12-53-46.png

Yes. The tapered pointed end slides into a handle to protect your hand and provide you an anchoring point. You push away when you sharpen generally.

Usually you can feel the difference, as the file skates in one direction, and bites when used correctly.

As I thought, thanks. Unfortunately I hit a stone wall with the chain, after attempting to sharpen it the cutting is still n/g. I believe the chain is shot.

As I thought, thanks. Unfortunately I hit a stone wall with the chain, after attempting to sharpen it the cutting is still n/g. I believe the chain is shot.

You should be able to see the issue as you're sharpening. That probably chewed up a few teeth, but it can likely be filed out (or ground out if it's really bad).

Reactions: TreePointer
You probabaly already saw this in the manual, but also make sure not to drag the file across the cutters on the return stroke. In addition, spin the file to use a different file area, and blow out the grindings every so many strokes.

A chain that's been "rocked" can be a lot of work to get back to a proper cutting profile, so when this happens I usually drop them off at a local professional sharpener.

Also, you need to check the raker or depth limiter/gage. You can sharpen the blade endlessly and if the raker/gage is not reduced to the proper level your chain will perform poorly.

Reactions: TreePointer
Also, you need to check the raker or depth limiter/gage. You can sharpen the blade endlessly and if the raker/gage is not reduced to the proper level your chain will perform poorly.

And this is why I love the Stihl 2 in 1 EZ file. Those things work exceptionally well.

You need to use a too to set tbe depth gage. . Did you check to see if they need to be lowered

Sorry, somehow i missed your stone wall experience- i did see the comment on the chain being "rocked" but i fiqured rocky soil. Correction: Its probably time for a new chain.

You need to use a too to set tbe depth gage. . Did you check to see if they need to be lowered
Seen this for about $70

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

Or this for $5
pd/Oregon-Chainsaw-Sharpening-File/1112129?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-Chainsaws-_-1112129:Oregon&CAWELAID=&kpid=1112129&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=517&k_clickID=63ee4546-3d12-4611-8621-29d11468bb94&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYeh6xqGVeJLr6xomTdVZ3TBFiCG30prWZq9m7NY4gDJkn3taP0OROcaAn9aEALw_wcB

$10
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Oregon-Chain...usefNfCNsxwrZSV8S-dQqYfit5CvL7zQaAgyDEALw_wcB

$25
https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200665086_200665086?adv=false&cm_mmc=Google-pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm9vPBRCQARIsABAIQYeMFGU7gw1gylr_GRZvc_Vtu31ZNOHYxilhqFcJvRQH9KRgzwAUpKsaAvW4EALw_wcB&utm_campaign=Oregon&utm_content=52895&utm_medium=Logging > Chainsaw Sharpeners + Grinders&utm_source=Google_PLA

A lot to choose from, the $70 Stihl I see got very good reviews.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Sorry, somehow i missed your stone wall experience- i did see the comment on the chain being "rocked" but i fiqured rocky soil. Correction: Its probably time for a new chain.

Unfortunately don't have a depth gauge. I do know the file shouldn't be in contact with the cutters on the return stroke. Yea, I'm thinking this time I better buy a new chain, but may invest in more than just a file for the future. Wish I bought the chain yesterday, lost part of a tree last night after a storm. No power for about 10 1/2 hours.

tree.jpg

Just watched a video re: the depth gauge, need to get one of those.

Attachments

• DSCN0776.JPG
    DSCN0776.JPG
    284.8 KB · Views: 169
2 in 1 is all you need !
Comes as sharp as new !
smiley-chainsaw.gif

Reactions: D8Chumley
That looks like the best deal. Started the stove for the first time this season tonight.

Virginiairon:

Are you saying the 2 in 1 file is $70? My local dealer has had them on the shelf for $30, every else has them for about 40 from what I've seen.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Virginiairon:

Are you saying the 2 in 1 file is $70? My local dealer has had them on the shelf for $30, every else has them for about 40 from what I've seen.

Yes, it was $69 + on search and Amazon.
***But, you are correct! When I performed a search through the local dealer it as only $40+. Maybe I got a hold of the decoy pricing- sorry.

That looks like the best deal. Started the stove for the first time this season tonight.
I tried all and threw everything after getting 2 in 1

I tried all and threw everything after getting 2 in 1

Now I'm wishing I didn't buy the 2-pack of just files. At least it wasn't to expensive. Suddenly it's like the middle of winter here in New England, it may have been in the teens overnight. This morning was 53 degrees in the house, didn't set the furnace to run in the a.m. like I sometimes too in the winter.

I watched a "video" demonstration by wranglestar and the item did appear to work well.

I watched a "video" demonstration by wranglestar and the item did appear to work well.
Those videos are a good way to learn the correct method. Ended up getting a new chain since I think mine was damaged when I hit a stone wall. What a difference a chain makes. I'll just need to make sure I'm careful using it and sharpen it properly. I used Tractor Supply's brand (County Line),
hopefully they're decent. Soon after using the new chain, it seemed not to cut well. It was just loose, not sure because it was new but was fine again after tightening.