SHE LIKES BEING DIRTY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FORCE FAB

Oct 30, 2008
SOUTH JERSEY
So i cleaned the stove out because i figured we would be burnin hard cause of the cold weather comin...Why does it seem like a stove likes to be dirty inside?I use a grate in bottom because i like the way it burns,so it makes it hard to take some ash out...I usually just wait till it builds up then pull the grate and make it clean..............just burns better when it got a buildup of ash

Not all stoves are the same. Mine works best when the ashes are cleaned out.

I like (some) ashes in mine. I believe it insulates a bit, and it also fills in all the cracks around the plug that fits over the ash pan. It helps form an airtight seal.

Matt

I clean out the ashes every morning when it is cold outside. Since I burn 24/7, there are still hot coals so not all the ashes get removed as it's impossible to separate all the ashes from the coals. If I were to clean out the ashes in the evening, there would not be enough ashes to hold the coals until morning.

In mild weather, I let the stove go several days before cleaning and then let it go cold to take out all of the ashes. Then again, in mild weather I don't burn 24/7 so there's no need to hold coals and in mild weather, the stove need not be efficient so ashes can be left to build up.

keep in mind that im running vogelzang frontiersman stove...I just want to keep people up on how the junk works compare to the higher end stuff

I've no clue as to why you choose to use a grate in that stove. Rick

FORCE FAB said:
fossil said:
keep in mind i cut the legs way down on it.....It just seems to burn much better and is more controlable

How am I s'posed to keep in mind something I never knew? Beyond that, what does cutting the legs down have to do with what goes on inside the firebox? While we're on the subject of cutting the legs down, how did you ensure that your hearth protection beneath the stove is adequate...is it on a concrete slab? Rick

EDIT: Oh wait...you mean you cut the legs on the grate, not the legs on the stove. Sorry. :red: Still, I don't know why you use the grate, that stove oughta just eat wood.

Actually a grate with the legs cut off is a good idea. Kind a like a home made andiron to keep the coals and logs from rolling out or hitting the glass.

When I saw that topic I just knew you were talking about a stove. Oh well.

I never understood the whole build up of ashes things. I have a Summit and it seems like with the secondaries burning from the top down my wood gets covered with ashes more than I like.

I have tried it both ways and it seems to do better when it's clean. If it's dirty it will keep coals in it for an insane amount of time but I'm more concerned about heat.

fossil said:
FORCE FAB said:
fossil said:
keep in mind i cut the legs way down on it.....It just seems to burn much better and is more controlable

How am I s'posed to keep in mind something I never knew? Beyond that, what does cutting the legs down have to do with what goes on inside the firebox? While we're on the subject of cutting the legs down, how did you ensure that your hearth protection beneath the stove is adequate...is it on a concrete slab? Rick

EDIT: Oh wait...you mean you cut the legs on the grate, not the legs on the stove. Sorry. :red: Still, I don't know why you use the grate, that stove oughta just eat wood.
GUESS ILL HAVE TO GET MY POST COUNT UP BEFORE I GET ANY"RESPECT".....I found that if i dont put the logs directly on the floor its easier to light and i can control the fire much easier,and the grate keeps the logs from rollin up against the door...The grate is only about 3/4" off the floor...With the tiny firebox i cant get an overnite burn but i do have hot coals in the mornin....Keep in mind this is my first year burnin and im learning

My Lopi manual says specifically NOT to put a grate in the firebox. I wonder what harm it could do as long as you can control over firing with the damper? HHHMMM...

trafick said:
My Lopi manual says specifically NOT to put a grate in the firebox. I wonder what harm it could do as long as you can control over firing with the damper? HHHMMM...

I have not seen a manual yet that does not say to NOT use a grate.

I think that is why he cannot get an overnight burn.

CTwoodburner said:
trafick said:

I have not seen a manual yet that does not say to NOT use a grate.

I think that is why he cannot get an overnight burn

I have run it both ways and havent seen a difference on how much wood i use

Status
Not open for further replies.