Shed-in-a-Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a Shelter Logic canvas garage to store my boat in before. It held up pretty well to the sun and snow load. I used to clear all snow after storms. The biggest drawback is the ground moisture. I had the vents in both end doors and when it was cold out and the sun came up it looked like a dryer vent with all the steam blowing out. Everything inside was always covered in condensation. If ou can leave the doors open it's fine but with the doors closed it's a sauna. I imagine they would be perfect if you had a cement pad to install it on.

I think TS has few nice ones on their website. Shelter logic makes good stuff. We have one at work about three story high. Mounted on a mafia blocks. I will take a pic of the monster tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSCN1519.jpg small.jpg
    DSCN1519.jpg small.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN1517.jpg small.jpg
    DSCN1517.jpg small.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 507
  • DSCN1514.jpg-small.jpg
    DSCN1514.jpg-small.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 506
Looks good, they are well made but moisture was my biggest issue. You should be fine with it on the pavement.

Put plastic down on ground with skids or something on top of it to block a lot of the ground moisture. best to have ground surface a bit higher in the central area of the shed to promote drainage around it.

yea, I hear you about the snow, but once it snows, I won't be needing anything in it. lawn tractor, yard tools only. plus i want to keep the footprint low and long.

That's the one I had except mine was 25 feet long. I used a broom to clear the snow from the very top after each storm and I kept the sides clear as well.

That's the one I had except mine was 25 feet long. I used a broom to clear the snow from the very top after each storm and I kept the sides clear as well.

had? what happened to it? how long did it last?

I owned mine for 3 or 4 years. There was no sun fading or worn spots on the canvas. I sold the house and didn't take it with me.

I have one its a 12 or 14 by 20. Only had it a year, snow was a none issue last year the snow pretty much slides off once the sun hit it. It is a round top that I park my tractor in. Unfortunately I did not anchor it down and the wind took it this spring blowing it into a tree tearing the fabric. I have a green tarp over the ripped area for this year, planning on moving it next after I take a couple of trees down. The cost of just the tarp is not much less than I paid for the whole structure. I am not sure of your average snow fall, but here it is around 41 inches a year. The sheds are very common in my area, northern MN. most have been up for many years with no issues. Just remember to anchor it down because the wind will take it.

I have one its a 12 or 14 by 20. Only had it a year, snow was a none issue last year the snow pretty much slides off once the sun hit it. It is a round top that I park my tractor in. Unfortunately I did not anchor it down and the wind took it this spring blowing it into a tree tearing the fabric. I have a green tarp over the ripped area for this year, planning on moving it next after I take a couple of trees down. The cost of just the tarp is not much less than I paid for the whole structure. I am not sure of your average snow fall, but here it is around 41 inches a year. The sheds are very common in my area, northern MN. most have been up for many years with no issues. Just remember to anchor it down because the wind will take it.
I thought it came with everything you need to put it up. The anchors you suggest don't come in the box?

The full size ones should come with 4 auger style anchors. Not sure about the smaller models.

I would add some sand bags too, I think they make a pouch of some sort you can fill with sand and it attachs to the shed/garage for added stability.

Can you roll up the sides of any of their sheds/garages to look more like a carport? I kind of like the idea of having a few cord of wood under cover if possible but to aid in drying during good weather months I'd think the sides being open would be better. Then just roll them down once snow is a concern.

Can you roll up the sides of any of their sheds/garages to look more like a carport? I kind of like the idea of having a few cord of wood under cover if possible but to aid in drying during good weather months I'd think the sides being open would be better. Then just roll them down once snow is a concern.
You can get carport in a box

http://www.shelterlogic.com/Product...8-4d36-aea6-9df80095b3e3&CategoryName=Garages

Rather than spend $400 on one of those I'd throw in another $3-400 and get a metal carport.

http://www.allsteelcarportsdirect.com/carport-prices-metal-steel-connecticut-ct-carports.html

You can't roll up the sides. The canvas has a pocket on the bottom that the lowest piece of tubing on the frame goes through before bolting it together. That's what holds the canvas on. You can roll the doors up though.

Gotcha, thanks. Looking on tractor supply website though (they have quite a lot of these shelter logic sheds) they seem to get really bad reviews, most of the tarps not holding up. I see on the companies own website a lot of their shelters can be ordered with thicker tarps, I wonder if TSC only sells the thinnest material ones.

Gotcha, thanks. Looking on tractor supply website though (they have quite a lot of these shelter logic sheds) they seem to get really bad reviews, most of the tarps not holding up. I see on the companies own website a lot of their shelters can be ordered with thicker tarps, I wonder if TSC only sells the thinnest material ones.
I've heard both good and bad with these, I was at a house that had two of them, one was 8 years old and in decent condition and the other was 12 years and was ok until a storm dropped a branch on it and popped a hole. Probably depends on location and exposure.

I've heard both good and bad with these, I was at a house that had two of them, one was 8 years old and in decent condition and the other was 12 years and was ok until a storm dropped a branch on it and popped a hole. Probably depends on location and exposure.

Yeah but what concerns me is the large amount of ~1-2 yr failures, and under average conditions. I understand these things wont last forever, and obviously a tree falling on one or a couple feet of snow should destroy it, but under fairly modest conditions there seemed to be a lot of failures.

I lost three of them and a fortune in inventory in Snowmaggedon in Virginia in 2010. Good reason to retire and made the recyclers a bunch of bucks.

Up until then I spent many a snowy night inside them punching up to slide snow off of them. The big one put them all on the ground and bent every single pipe in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.