shin buster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
OK, no one warned me of this. It happened when splitting a larger split that has an chain saw cut that only went a quarter way through the split. When I hit it a chunk flew off the bottom and hit me directly in the shin.

Haven't figured out the physics of this yet, but I will be spot checking my rounds from now on.

Hit wood with steel enough times & whatever can happen WILL eventually happen. I say: Take the proper steps to ensure the axe or maul won't hit you (chopping block size, stance, technique…) and don't worry too much about the rest. I do generally wear safety glasses when splitting, however.
I had a chunk hit me right in the boys once <>
Was splitting in the woods right off the ground (or so I thought). There was a stick under the round & when I swung, the round didn't split but the stick underneath broke & a forearm-sized piece flew out in the exact WRONG direction.
In my experience the person standing to near-by talking while you split is much more likely to get nailed by a chunk.

Mass, sorry to hear about your shin.
If I could I'd like to propose a possible solution for your consideration. I only split wood this way and never have a problem. I suppose you are splitting on a chopping block or a stump. Try adding an old spare tire on top of the stump, and then place the piece you are trying to split inside. The tire holds it place so you wont have to go chasing wood after each swing, it keeps already split chucks from hitting your shins, and most important to me is that it keeps a errant swing from turning into a hospital visit.
I did a quick search and found a YouTube that shows the idea, although the guy in the vid looks like a bit of a wildcard, it does demonstrate the concept with him splitting wood within the tire.
Best of luck.

oops...here the link

Last edited:
If I could I like to propose a possible solution for your consideration. I only split wood this way and never have a problem. I suppose you are splitting on a chopping block or a stump. Try adding an old spare tire on top of the stump, and then place the piece you are trying to split inside. The tire holds it place so you wont have to go chasing wood after each swing, it keeps already split chucks form hitting your shins, and most important to me it that it keeps a errant swing from turning into a hospital visit.
I did a quick search and found a YouTube that shows the idea, although the guy in the vid looks like a bit of a wildcard, it does demonstrate the concept with him splitting wood within the tire.
Best of luck.

oops...here the link
This is the method I use. It saves a lot of time. If the axe goes through the wood it hits the tire.

I had a split more or less explode on the splitter while the Wife was standing by watching me work....damned near caught her in the hip.....now she keeps her distance.....me, I keep a hand on the split just in case

If I could I'd like to propose a possible solution for your consideration. I only split wood this way and never have a problem. I suppose you are splitting on a chopping block or a stump. Try adding an old spare tire on top of the stump, and then place the piece you are trying to split inside. The tire holds it place so you wont have to go chasing wood after each swing, it keeps already split chucks from hitting your shins, and most important to me is that it keeps a errant swing from turning into a hospital visit.
Best of luck.

oops...here the link

What is this guy doing right that his rounds just fly apart like that? If I could split that fast by hand I wouldn't lament my lack of splitter...

Reactions: Redlegs
This is the method I use. It saves a lot of time. If the axe goes through the wood it hits the tire.

well, i was only spliting splits that were too big, can't put one split in a tire. We take a second to see where we want to put the axe blade, we should also give a quick look around the split too.

Last year I was running my splitter in the horizontal position. Had about a 5 inch round that I figured I better split so it would dry better put it on the splitter and started through it. That thing exploded in two pieces like a sling shot hitting me right in the family jewels. Needless to say it dropped me like a bad habit. Took me a few seconds to even figure out what happened.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Last year I was running my splitter in the horizontal position. Had about a 5 inch round that I figured I better split so it would dry better put it on the splitter and started through it. That thing exploded in two pieces like a sling shot hitting me right in the family jewels. Needless to say it dropped me like a bad habit. Took me a few seconds to even figure out what happened.

After singing in the boy's choir, go back to splitting vertically. ;)

If I could I'd like to propose a possible solution for your consideration...

The tire is great for smaller rounds. Much safer and it really speeds things up. Most of the stuff I get won't fit in one though.

After singing in the boy's choir, go back to splitting vertically. ;)

Singing in the boys choir is not fun but neither is bending over all day. I much prefer splitting horizontally. I only go vertical for stuff I can't lift onto the cradle. I'm 25 and in good shape so I don't have to much trouble getting stuff up onto the beam. I'm also a carpenter(roofer) and can tell you that there are long term consequences for bending over for prolonged periods of time putting excessive stress on the lower back even if you are just standing there.

Mass,
From start to finish, heating with wood burning equipment is a risk management game. If I had a steady supply of rounds that were too big for a the tire deal, I would look at how I could build a two of three sided jig from railroad ties, landscape timbers, or something to support the round and protect my legs. Every opportunity to build risk reduction into our process should be exploited, because every time we saw, lift, haul, split or burn wood we are push the odds. JMHO.

What is this guy doing right that his rounds just fly apart like that? If I could split that fast by hand I wouldn't lament my lack of splitter...

Nobody going to post an answer? Boy, I ask about BL and people start pulling stuff out of their kiesters, but splitting?

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nobody going to post an answer? Boy, I ask about BL and people start pulling stuff out of their kiesters, but splitting?

Its pretty simple, straight grain wood that splits easily, and his spits are only 10-12" long. You could have done the same thing he was, there is no trick.

Oh. Well, duh. :confused:

Singing in the boys choir is not fun but neither is bending over all day. I much prefer splitting horizontally. I only go vertical for stuff I can't lift onto the cradle. I'm 25 and in good shape so I don't have to much trouble getting stuff up onto the beam. I'm also a carpenter(roofer) and can tell you that there are long term consequences for bending over for prolonged periods of time putting excessive stress on the lower back even if you are just standing there.

I don't understand the "bending over all day." I could not do that either but do all the splitting vertically which is much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.