SHIN PROTECTORS!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Gentlemen, Today while splitting some cherry with my 8lb maul, I had a split fly off and bark my shin really bad. I have been splitting and burning for over 30 years and have had this happen several times. I have noticed that when using a wedge and sledge, if you stand 45 degrees to the wedge face, it won't bite you. Sometimes on a super tough piece it'll through the wedge away. This well not hit you if you stand right but it would be lots better if I had some shin guards. The kind that baseball catchers or socker players use would work fine. They would be best if they covered the shin from the knee to the top of the foot. The chain saw chaps are not what I had in mind. Anyway, are there some guards for wood splitters or do I need to go to our local sports store? What would work best? I enjoy splitting and it keeps this 66 year old body in some what reasonable shape, but I do need to stop the shin wounds. Idea's please. Captain Hornet.

Captain Hornet said:
Gentlemen, Today while splitting some cherry with my 8lb maul, I had a split fly off and bark my shin really bad. I have been splitting and burning for over 30 years and have had this happen several times. I have noticed that when using a wedge and sledge, if you stand 45 degrees to the wedge face, it won't bite you. Sometimes on a super tough piece it'll through the wedge away. This well not hit you if you stand right but it would be lots better if I had some shin guards. The kind that baseball catchers or socker players use would work fine. They would be best if they covered the shin from the knee to the top of the foot. The chain saw chaps are not what I had in mind. Anyway, are there some guards for wood splitters or do I need to go to our local sports store? What would work best? I enjoy splitting and it keeps this 66 year old body in some what reasonable shape, but I do need to stop the shin wounds. Idea's please. Captain Hornet.

You could wuss out like the rest of these wussies and get a hydraulic splitter.

Bigg_Redd said:
From what I read on this forum some wussies with their hydraulic splitters are still getting hurt when the wood pops. I've never had it happen to me either way.

You might want to protect the parts above the knee too or try the tire trick.

Bigg_Redd said:
Captain Hornet said:

better be careful some of these folks live and breath PPE. ;)

Mass. wine: I'm feeling your pain. Ever since I used my calf to stop my saw chain, stories like that hurt. Hope you heal quickly. j

They are probably hard to get for you in the US, and other sports may have something similar, but a cricket batsman's or wicket keeper's pads would be ideal. You could obviously go second hand and get them really cheap. They are certainly perfect for your requirement.

A batsman's pads look like:
capropad.jpg
sachin1a.jpg

Whilst a keeper's pads are a little shorter but still cover the knee:
610x.jpg

Good for the ladies too if they split:
lara_bingle_cricket.jpg

Would you believe that she is wearing the exact same thing that I wear when I am splitting?

bambam said:
Would you believe that she is wearing the exact same thing that I wear when I am splitting?

Oh good - you can tell the original poster where to buy the pads from then . . .

Apprentice_GM said:
bambam said:

Oh good - you can tell the original poster where to buy the pads from then . . .

Wallyworld.

bambam said:

You wear a bikini when splitting wood :vampire:

struggle said:
bambam said:

It is like a new pair of underwear,at first it is constricting but after awhile it becomes a part of you.

struggle said:
bambam said:

I'm more of a boxers man, wouldn't tolerate the seams cutting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.