Shindaiwa 757 Bar and Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
Hey all. Have a 757 with a 20"/3/8 bar/chain. I am looking to go to the 24"-28" range. I am pretty sure the rim sprocket is an Oregon 3/8-7. I am fairly new to this saw and love it, but would like a little more bar for larger stuff. Anybody have a recommended bar/chain combo for that length that would work with the current sprocket?

The base setup I'd put on that saw is an Oregon PowerMatch bar (has replaceable tip sprocket) with Oregon LGX chain (full chisel). If you want to spend more, step up to an Oregon (or other) lightweight bar and Stihl RS (full chisel) chain.

BAR MOUNT pattern on that saw should be the same as a Husqvarna 372XP, so if you want to buy local, a decent Husqvarna/Jonsered dealer can hook you up with a bar & chain.

Since you're buying a new bar, you need to match the pitch to your drive sprocket; however, you can change gauge (.050 or .058). I'd keep it simple and stay with the gauge that you already have on your 20" bar or whatever is popular in your region.

Oregon Selector Guide is a good place to start:
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG

Once you find a bar that's compatible, search for the best price for that model number.

Last edited:
I have this bar, except in a Stihl mount pattern, and it's excellent. It will work with any 84DL, 3/8-pitch, .050"-gauge chain.

I should note that I've found 20" and 28" to be a more useful combo than 20" and 24", which flirts with being too similar. I have a Stihl ES Light 28" which I occasionally use with an 044 that usually runs a 20" bar. Having both of those on hand, the 24" setup seems superfluous.

Total makes a nice 28" light bar, but it's significantly pricier than the standard-weight 24" that I linked above.

Thanks fellas. I will check those out. Good point on the 28" never thought of that.

I like Jon run a 20 and 28 on my 2172. it wears the 20" 90% of the time so I got the woodland pro bar/skip chain combo from baileys. heavy for all day use but I don't see that.

heavy for all day use but I don't see that.
Yeah I'm taking all you guy's advice and buying an Oregon power match 28" and a Stihl full chisel chain. Since I only see a few trees a year that will really need the bigger bar, buying one that will get the job done makes sense even if it's a bit heavier/pricier. I am also sticking with .050 gauge as that's what the 20" is to keep it simple. Thanks all. Looking forward to putting that hog to use!

Yeah I'm taking all you guy's advice and buying an Oregon power match 28" and a Stihl full chisel chain. Since I only see a few trees a year that will really need the bigger bar, buying one that will get the job done makes sense even if it's a bit heavier/pricier. I am also sticking with .050 gauge as that's what the 20" is to keep it simple. Thanks all. Looking forward to putting that hog to use!

You know we will want pics! ==c

Will do. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.