Shop vac Dead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Well i knew it was only a matter of time before this happened. I have only ever used a Stainless steel shop vac for cleaning out my stove for the last 4 years it was cheap $35 and did work pretty good... Well yesterday it picked up some hot ones and had a melt down.. I must say with it on it pushes smoke through the house pretty good..LOL...

All the wood stoves and pellet stoves in this community and only one place sells a real ash vac.. No wonder i had used the shop vac

I use my shop vacs, either my small one or a larger one, but only ever after a few hours cool down and after dumping the ash pan. All I'm using the vac for is fines in tight spaces and the area under the fire pit after ascertaining it's all cool. Lot of plastic in a shop vac.

ya i got tis small one just for doing the stove when i was done it would get kicked outside until next time i needed it. In actuality the only difference between the shop vac and the ash vac i got is the pre filter and cadge. The pre filter is just a fiberglass mesh by the looks of it so fire proof, the main filter just looks to be a normal shop vac filer. Thought it was quite funny as the GF was running around the house trying to see where the smoke was coming from and i was just sitting on the floor staring at the shopvac.

• Haha
Reactions: tbear853