Short burn times epa stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millertime2531

Sep 25, 2020
Massachusetts
Fireplace is a ambiance elegance 40 by supreme. Currently, the longest burn I’ve gotten is 6 hours. Average is about 3-4. Very rarely more than that. That’s from load up to a point where my coals are cool enough to barely start a fresh log. Wood is dry and seasoned below 20. Splits have been relatively small ( about the size you would get if you bought from a home store). I thought that might be the issue so I got some fat logs from a friend that were about 7-8”splits 2 yr seasoned oak. Firebox is 3.2 cubic ft so I can fit about 3-4 in there. I nest them in tight East to west. It burns fairly slow to start but seems to be engulfed and raging after about an hour. Cutting air control as much as I can doesn’t slow it down much until about nearly hour 2. After hours 3 I’m down to chunky coals. Stove claims 6-12 hr burn times. There is no way. I think I’ve tried everything. Am I missing something?

Have you checked the door gasket? You should be able to nearly snuff the fire out closing the air all the way!

Stove is only about 4 months old. Gasket is is in place and in good shape. I can cut off air supply, but not completely as it is an epa unit. I need to get the stove to about 500 degrees before I do it or it will likely go out. The acc control will actually shut it down on its own or I can pull it out manually.

Reactions: logfarmer
Ok maybe start cutting the air down a little bit earlier? Still try to achieve the 500* but cut back a little at a time.

Try closing down the air quicker, as soon as possible without squelching the flames .

Note that this is a zero clearance fireplace, it is not a stove.

Reactions: logfarmer
Reading the manual, that has an air activator for reloading and starting the fire and a separate burn control lever. Have you played around with either of those? It really sounds like it’s allowing too much air in somehow. Have you done a dollar Bill test on your door to verify you don’t have any leaks?

Just gave the dollar bill test. Big fail in a few spots. With the unit only being a few months old I wouldn’t expect this. Is the gasket a universal thing or do I need one brand specific? Are some types better than others?

Check first to see if there are any adjustments that can be made before replacing the gasket. I liked buying from the mfg just to get correct thickness and length. My RSF had a shot gasket after only 3 years of service, basically it disintegrated.

Just gave the dollar bill test. Big fail in a few spots. With the unit only being a few months old I wouldn’t expect this. Is the gasket a universal thing or do I need one brand specific? Are some types better than others?

Who installed the unit? If dealer installed might be worth giving them a call. Could trace back to a mfg. defect or something that would be covered under warranty. If you start monkeying with it that might cause some issues getting it resolved.

I have a 2,8 firebox and fit more splits than you, is your firebox and odd size? I usually can fit 7-8 splits of that size.