Should clean out door be airtight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boothill

Apr 22, 2008
Southeast Missouri
Seems I never grow weary of newbie questions, hope you folks don't get tired of answering them. I'm still trying to figure out why my chimney is weeping water in one area on the outside about a foot above the thimble. When you dab the mortar with a paper towel it seems pretty clear and thin, like water, but does have a smell of woodsmoke. I noticed while investigating that my cleanout door (which is outdoors) was whistling from drawing air in. Could this be causing condensation up the chimny? Does it need to be airtight? Thanks

Dunno if that's the cause (or part of the cause, or has anything to do whatever) of the condensation/weeping you're seeing, but yes, that cleanout door shut be sealed tightly. Rick

Ought to work. If it comes off, put the tape on the frame and slam the door shut on it making a gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.