Should Have Ordered More Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Where in Western Mass. can I find these. How much a ton? Williamstown is the only place in W. Mass on their dealer map and that's way too far. Anything closer to Greenfield?
I get them in Monson at SquireLumber. I know there is a stove dealer in Whatley, but I don’t know what they sell. Robin’s garden center in Oxford, still not close to you, also has Vermont’s. I paid 300/ton. The most I’ve ever paid. I like the fact that I don’t have to clean my stove as often.

Picking up my 3'rd ton of barefoot friday, same price $260. this will carry me into next year.

Picking up my 3'rd ton of barefoot friday, same price $260. this will carry me into next year.

wow, over here they are selling them at 310 (according to the webpage), but i'll give them a call and see if I can get a good price for the end of season.

Well, it turns out I did order enough pellets for the season. 7 bags in the house and 24 bags outside. With the longer days daylight, the house warms up enough with just the sun light. Add a some stove cooking and the house stays warm on its own during the day. The pellet stove is only needed at night for a few hours. If the stove stays on through the morning, the house can easily reach into the 80s.

Well, it turns out I did order enough pellets for the season. 7 bags in the house and 24 bags outside. With the longer days daylight, the house warms up enough with just the sun light. Add a some stove cooking and the house stays warm on its own during the day. The pellet stove is only needed at night for a few hours. If the stove stays on through the morning, the house can easily reach into the 80s.
Same here

Same here at least for the last week. But it looks like a big storm with high winds is coming our way. Today it's turning a lot colder already. I'm near the end of my 3rd ton. I already unloaded my 4th ton on top of it so I could use my trailer, so not sure exactly how close I am without counting layers of bags.

3 bags left of 4.5 tons
Tomorrow I'll go buy another 1/2 ton
winters not done yet around here

Same here at least for the last week. But it looks like a big storm with high winds is coming our way. Today it's turning a lot colder already. I'm near the end of my 3rd ton. I already unloaded my 4th ton on top of it so I could use my trailer, so not sure exactly how close I am without counting layers of bags.

Yeah, I see the Midwest is getting another storm. Good luck with that.

My stove is on yesterday and today for part of the day, I’ve got 15 bags left. I’ll order four ton next year.

I will be ordering my stash for next winter here in the next week or so.
4 tons with delivery in September usually..
my dealer starts his 2 week spring buy April 15th.
already has let us know due to circumstances, we will not see the 'deep discounts this season.

Ran out of Meader Brothers pellets, so went to nearby feed mill,,,, only 7 miles... and got 15 bags of ProPellets,, they were limiting because it is end of season....Loaded indoors by two young ladies,,, I didn’t have to do a thing,,, only unload when I got home...This cuts my work load in half,,,,very important..!!.. The other place to get ProPellets is 30 miles away, and while they say they will load fo Rome, I usually have to do it myself....So it is the nearby feed mill for me.

Reactions: vinny11950
already has let us know due to circumstances, we will not see the 'deep discounts this season.

I wonder what those circumstances are? Higher oil prices allowing for higher pellet prices?

I wonder what those circumstances are? Higher oil prices allowing for higher pellet prices?
Shipping has lot to do with it also.dealer said had to drop couple brands due to shipping costs. Specially stuff coming from pacific northwest like doug firs.

Shipping has lot to do with it also.dealer said had to drop couple brands due to shipping costs. Specially stuff coming from pacific northwest like doug firs.

That makes sense, Tony.

It's turned warm here at the end of the week, my heat has been on once or twice in the last 24 hours. Supposed to be 47 overnight tonight.

Even though it was still pretty cold I shut the stove down the third week in March because the only pellets around near by were $6.99 a bag and oil $2.59 a gal. I really didn't want Green Supreme @ $6.99 a bag. I'll probably stick 100 gal of oil in the tank and call it a year, run the next few weeks out on that.

Reactions: Bill L
It's turned warm here at the end of the week, my heat has been on once or twice in the last 24 hours. Supposed to be 47 overnight tonight.

Even though it was still pretty cold I shut the stove down the third week in March because the only pellets around near by were $6.99 a bag and oil $2.59 a gal. I really didn't want Green Supreme @ $6.99 a bag. I'll probably stick 100 gal of oil in the tank and call it a year, run the next few weeks out on that.

Makes sense not to burn pellets when you have a cheap alternative. Also the body's climatization process is now set for cold weather, so mid 40s at night in the Spring feels good, while in the Autumn it feels cold and worthy of a fire.

Makes sense not to burn pellets when you have a cheap alternative. Also the body's climatization process is now set for cold weather, so mid 40s at night in the Spring feels good, while in the Autumn it feels cold and worthy of a fire.
There is something to be said about the difference in cold between spring and fall ( beyond the body getting shocked coming off summer heat). But we have a stronger sun in the spring too, so during the day it takes less heat to heat the house as the same weather temps of fall with low sun and long shadows. Same between Dec. and Late Feb. At least here where we live anyway.

The heat ran once overnight last night ( the radiators were still a little warm when I got up this morning). It hasn't run today at all, it's warm out and sunny, supposed to cool off later and rain.

It's at that time of season you leave it on when you go to bed and you turn off the pellet stove by 9:30 in the morning. Time to order pellets 219 a ton from my supplier delivered

It's at that time of season you leave it on when you go to bed and you turn off the pellet stove by 9:30 in the morning. Time to order pellets 219 a ton from my supplier delivered
Around here by April all the pellet suppliers have turned over to garden supply shops and landscaping services, you can't even find any pellets never mind buy them at a bargain rate.

I just put a bag in this week, ran the stove for a few hours. Ten bags left so yeah! I didn’t run out. I ordered the same Vermont pellets for the same $300/ton for next year. I ordered four instead of my usual three, just for more of a buffer. I was very happy with these pellets, low fines, vacuuming the stove every two weeks. They produced good heat, I never had my pellet feed over 3. They were worth the premium price for me. One less thing to do (until the delivery’)!

I just put a bag in this week, ran the stove for a few hours. Ten bags left so yeah! I didn’t run out. I ordered the same Vermont pellets for the same $300/ton for next year. I ordered four instead of my usual three, just for more of a buffer. I was very happy with these pellets, low fines, vacuuming the stove every two weeks. They produced good heat, I never had my pellet feed over 3. They were worth the premium price for me. One less thing to do (until the delivery’)!
Same here. Ordered my four tons for next winter. 2 tons delivered in August and two in January.
I am always 1 season ahead as I have 3 tons sitting in the basement now..

Last edited:
Bit the bullet today and ordered 3 pallets 4.5 Ton
of Cubix for delivery in September 330 a ton with
Tax delivered Hate paying the HST but that's what
is to an over taxed under paid Canadian .
But then again we do have Free Health Care

yep ordered 4-ton to be delivered Wednesday 2.19 a ton delivered.
MAINE WOODS HARDWOOD MIX PELLETS can't see paying more for the higher priced stuff. Burning for about 8 years now and have no complaints with the cheaper premium pellets

Last edited: