Should i be able to close primary all the way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
I have ran up to 3/4 closed and have burned to ashes and i realize secondaries prob need some help from a flame which will need some primary air but should i be able to burn closed up and at what time and temp?Is this what i should do if i'm running at 400 or hotter? Thanks.

One of the joys of wood burning, no two setups are the same. Some setups will allow you close close them down others will not tolerate it without turning into a smokey/dirty burn. Close it down as much as you can without smoldering the fire.(look at the chimney if you have to) I used to try and keep some flame on the logs when I had my Endeavor. Of course most the time that stove burned real hot so even with the primary air closed it still had plenty of flame.

Depends . . . on your draft, wood and probably a few other variables that I am forgetting . . . sometimes I can close my Oslo's air control all the way . . . sometimes only 3/4.

I can't close my primary air control all the way - at least I can't do it on every load. Generally I end up with about 3/4 closed and that makes a nice balance between maintaining the secondaries and not getting too hot or burning up the wood too fast.

I can usually close 100%.. which of course is not *really* 100%.. but if the draft is strong.. my stove will hum. Only at 100%.. just a hair, and I mean a hair, open, and it stops. lol I genneraly close down to around 95% or so most loads.

I understand that there are so many variations even between the same brand and model.I will experiment and find my stoves sweet spot.Been reading up.Thanks for replies. Always appreciated.Looking to extend my 9 hr burn times just to see if i can.My splits are QUITE big this yr and 3 are about all i can fit so there is quite a bit of wasted space in there.I'll seperate my small stuff and try that also.Those secondary tubes can sure hinder wood loading.Can't wait to see the new Rangeley without the topload that i thought i needed so much and haven't used. :red:

You have four tools. What you see through that glass, the stove top thermo, what you see coming out of that chimney and the primary air control.

The first three tell you what to do with number four.

With a 27' double insulated rigid liner I use, I must turn the air all the way down.
Been experimenting at turning down in intervals, and at lower temps. The Summit with this draft likes to run where she runs, seems no matter where/when I turn it down.
If I turn down around 400 it seems to more gradually get up to her favorite temp. Target temp is around 650 these days. She may spike a little higher when burning off the nasties, but then settles back in at 650.

During shoulder season, the primary usually remains at about 1/4 open, but once the real cold hits and the draft is stronger, I can completely close the primary and have a great, long burn. Cheers!

During shoulder season, the primary usually remains at about 1/4 open, or even a little more if the outside temps are quite mild, but once the real cold hits and the draft is stronger, I can completely close the primary and have a great, long burn. Cheers!

Some nights I can close down 100%, other nights I must keep it at 95%.

I have yet to run the Sweat Machine in really cold temps, so I will have to see what it does once that draft really kicks in. Once I have shut her down she settles in at 550 and cruises.

BrotherBart said:
You have four tools. What you see through that glass, the stove top thermo, what you see coming out of that chimney and the primary air control.

The first three tell you what to do with number four.

Five tools if you have a flue thermometer . . . I rely on my flue thermometer a lot.

Remkel said:

I have yet to run the Sweat Machine in really cold temps, so I will have to see what it does once that draft really kicks in. Once I have shut her down she settles in at 550 and cruises.

Rem...what corner is your stove top thermometer located?...what's your probe thermometer telling you at 550F ?

Ron

Double wall all the way to stove,no flue temp.

Capt Ron said:
Remkel said:

Rem...what corner is your stove top thermometer located?...what's your probe thermometer telling you at 550F ?

Ron

I have my thermometer on the back right corner. I want to also try on the front corner, as it seems the most intense fire is at the front. I plan on purchasing three additional thermometers and placing them on each corner simultaneously. This will give me a better idea of which corner is typically running the hottest.

As for a probe thermo, i do not have one.

Remkel said:
Capt Ron said:
Remkel said:

Ron

I have my thermometer on the back right corner. I want to also try on the front corner, as it seems the most intense fire is at the front. I plan on purchasing three additional thermometers and placing them on each corner simultaneously. This will give me a better idea of which corner is typically running the hottest.

Just break down and buy the IR thermometer from Harbor Freight instead of buying three more thermos . . . probably would be cheaper in the long run . . . keep the stove top less cluttered and you can shoot temps from all over the place -- hearth, inside the firebox, front of the stove, walls, wife, etc.

For the record I found on my Oslo that the high temp was consistently in the right rear . . . I think because I tend to push up ash into that side of the stove when I load it and the wood tends to rise up higher there.

Thermometer should be kept in hottest corner?

firefighterjake said:
Remkel said:
Capt Ron said:
Remkel said:

Ron

Just break down and buy the IR thermometer from Harbor Freight instead of buying three more thermos . . . probably would be cheaper in the long run . . . keep the stove top less cluttered and you can shoot temps from all over the place -- hearth, inside the firebox, front of the stove, walls, wife, etc.

For the record I found on my Oslo that the high temp was consistently in the right rear . . . I think because I tend to push up ash into that side of the stove when I load it and the wood tends to rise up higher there.

+1 on the IR thermometer...my right rear corner is the high temp on my F600 also...not sure why

3/4 is all I can get it down to any lower and I get no flame and dirty glass. With bigger fire maybe can go a little lower but not much.

Bub381 said:
Thermometer should be kept in hottest corner?

I think that's what most of us do . . . seeing as many of us have it there to avoid overfiring the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.