Should i buy this? Co worker Selling wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos

Oct 13, 2009
CT
Early this morning i posted about a crappy wood stove a friend gave me! Now i have pics of a stove a co worker has and he has intetions on selling it. Please take a gander and let me know what you guys think. Thanks. Please keep in mind i dont know anything about wood stoves! I will be learning as i go through this forum!

Attachments

• ~5918151.jpg
    ~5918151.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 561
  • ~8351445.jpg
    ~8351445.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 641
Carlos,

better'n the last 'gem' you shared w/ us :D

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3046/ - thread w/ info on the ASW Huntsman. Looks like people like it, but you will be hard pressed to run it efficiently. My grandparents had one similar, long ago. They are smoke dragons. And if you try to do anything by the book w/ your insurance co and/or building inspector, you'll be pushing rope to get it approved.

btw - whatcha got for wood supply seasoned, dry, and ready? buyin' the stove should be one of the last things you do...

You have to budget for a safe installation, too. I got my EPA-certified stove on Craigslist, and still had to pay a fair amount for installation, including the stove pipes. You'll get good advice here about installation; start checking Craigslist for deals on stove pipe and firewood. Wait it out and get a good stove that really meets your needs.

Yeah its 10x better than that old out house toilet i posted earlier! lol.

The guy selling it to me does not want to use it anymore he says the room its in gets really hot and he has not other place to put it!

You know whats funny i actually was thinking about that! I dont have any wood to burn right now! why should i bother looking for a damm stove!

See, it makes sence to show your inexperience! I just got some damm common, logical sence provided! I guess ill be looking around the forum to see whats the best way to store wood and keep it dry.

Thanks ED!

Edthedawg said:
Carlos,

better'n the last 'gem' you shared w/ us :D

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3046/ - thread w/ info on the ASW Huntsman. Looks like people like it, but you will be hard pressed to run it efficiently. My grandparents had one similar, long ago. They are smoke dragons. And if you try to do anything by the book w/ your insurance co and/or building inspector, you'll be pushing rope to get it approved.

btw - whatcha got for wood supply seasoned, dry, and ready? buyin' the stove should be one of the last things you do...

Carlos,

check out the Wood Shed part of this here forum :) This is the Hearth Room :)

in general, you cannot possibly cut wood now to burn successfully this year. You could maybe buy it (I have a guy I could turn you onto in the Willington, CT area @ $200+/cord) but if you're lookin' at roadside stoves, I'm guessin' you mightn't wanna spenda grand on fuelwood right now?

good luck to you and hope it all works out well!

Definitely better than the last stove . . . but as you said . . . if you don't have any wood by now, the odds of getting some good, well-seasoned wood on the cheap that would burn well is pretty slim at this point. If you really want to go with wood, I might suggest you save your pennies now, buy some wood or start scrounging and wait until later this year to buy a decent newer stove like an Englander or Napoleon . . . or keep your eyes peeled for a half decent sale on Craigslist or through your local shopper.

On the up side those old stoves are not very picky about wood. It will burn unseasoned wood unlike modern epa stoves but prepare your neigbors (if you have um) for a foggy winter.

There's always pallets, or if you don't mind spending some money, Bio Bricks, Envi Blocks and the like.

That's a good old stove right there. Made in the mid to late 70s, similar to the Fisher design and will really throw the heat.
Only problem may be getting a permit for a legal install as the stove is not EPA certified.
That stove appears to be in good shape, but I personally wouldn't go over $200 for it.

Do a search on this board for "atlanta huntsman" or "atlanta stove works" and it should pull up all the threads.

If you buy the stove and need a copy of the manual, let me know.

Carlos said:
Early this morning i posted about a crappy wood stove a friend gave me! Now i have pics of a stove a co worker has and he has intetions on selling it. Please take a gander and let me know what you guys think. Thanks. Please keep in mind i dont know anything about wood stoves! I will be learning as i go through this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.