Should I even bother engaging the cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
I had the Regency I2500 installed in November. When I engage the cat the probe temp climbs for a bit, but then starts to Drop. As far as I can tell the only thing the cat on this particular model does to increase efficiency and not necessarily provide additional heat. If I let the probe temp get up close to 800 before engaging the cat, it is hard to push it in (entire cat assembly slides in). At this point I am wondering if I am getting any advantage out of using the cat or should I just run without it.

I had the Regency I2500 installed in November. When I engage the cat the probe temp climbs for a bit, but then starts to Drop. As far as I can tell the only thing the cat on this particular model does to increase efficiency and not necessarily provide additional heat. If I let the probe temp get up close to 800 before engaging the cat, it is hard to push it in (entire cat assembly slides in). At this point I am wondering if I am getting any advantage out of using the cat or should I just run without it.
Without engaging the cat you are dumping tons of heat straight up the chimney.

OK, I figured the 2500 is basically a 2450 with cat added so I assumed it would be ok. If it will retain more heat in the stove, I'll keep engaging it.