Should I grab some?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CastIronQueen

May 31, 2021
Chicago
I was told this is Ash. We had some storms come through earlier this week. They created a huge split in a main branch. The city came by and cut it down leaving the logs for later pick up.
How is Ash for a fuel type? Should I snatch some up?

IMG_20210813_125910_358.jpg

ash is ok, dries fairly quickly in comparison to say oak. about midway on the btu charts depending on the particular type, above the big leaf maple types. Due to the bug, there is a lot available.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
My guess is Norway Maple. The leaves are definitely in the maple family. Norway maple is popular in cities as its somewhat more tolerant to road salt. Its good but not great wood but if its available and you have room for it go for it.

I'm jumping on Norway maple wagon - opposite branching habit, maple-shaped (palmate) leaves, with tight, regular furrowed bark.
Pull a leaf from a twig and it should exude white milky sap from its petiole.
Its a hard maple - good firewood.

Norway maple as stated previously.

It’s decent firewood, Norway maple. Like all wood, I’d top cover. I had some that I treated badly with storage. Had to get rid of a bunch of it. The stuff that was stored better burned nicely

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Free, so the price quality ratio is fantastic. Yes!

Looks like Norway maple.

free and easy wood is the best wood there is! take it all!!

Free + Close = Good wood

Only thing better is Free + Close + Hardwood . . . which it is.

Actually nix that . . . best would be Free, Close, Hardwood, Seasoned, Cut, Split and Stacked on your property . . . which truly is the best of all, but I try to stay grounded in reality.

Actually nix that . . . best would be Free, Close, Hardwood, Seasoned, Cut, Split and Stacked on your property . . . which truly is the best of all, but I try to stay grounded in reality.
Now that's wishful<> thinking

It is maple. I got hold of a free truck load of maple one time, very difficult to split. So I leave the maple alone these days. I don't know what species of maple it was.
Ash is great firewood and I have a bunch of it in my wood pile. Easy to split and pretty good BTUs. I like the way it looks.

It is maple. I got hold of a free truck load of maple one time, very difficult to split. So I leave the maple alone these days. I don't know what species of maple it was.
Ash is great firewood and I have a bunch of it in my wood pile. Easy to split and pretty good BTUs. I like the way it looks.

I split a ton of maple, sugar and silver and always found it rather easy to split.

Reactions: StudlyHogly
I can't explain it. I have a very good maul and can split just about anything. Just split up a truck load of red oak this morning. But, maple and hickory I leave alone. I know there are many species of maple I guess some split better than others.

But red oak is incredibly easy to split. I do find maple harder to split than red oak, but it's not crazy to do (here in this climate and with my tools... so how to compare "easy vs hard" ...)

I have just realized, thanks for your input, I am a sissy since I can't split maple.

That is not what I said nor what I implied.